Tutor with K-12 Connect
Become a Volunteer Tutor
Every individual working with a K-12 student is required to have a background check on file. Once you apply, watch your inbox for an email from GVSU HR with a link to complete the background check online.
If you have any concerns with the form, please contact [email protected].
Once you apply and complete your background check, you will be invited to a virtual orientation to receive training on the K-12 Connect program and effective tutoring practices.
Joining the orientation can count toward volunteer hours.
Verify Your Service Hours
If you are interested in having your K-12 Connect service hours verified, please complete the verification request form below.
Once your hours are verified by a K-12 Connect specialist, you will receive an email with a signed certificate to use as proof of participation in the K-12 Connect program.
Work as a K-12 Connect Tutor
We accept applications for two separate tutoring positions. Both require a minimum commitment of 9 hours/week for the duration of each 12-week tutoring cycle.
- Completely virtual with flexible scheduling
- Must have laptop and access to stable WIFI
- Training is provided and paid
- Pay starts at $14.47/hr and increases with training and experience
K-12 Boost Tutor Position: 1:1 and 1:2 tutoring for students in grades K-12 in any subject. This program is co-designed with the school, so K-12 Boost tutors are trained in the school’s specific curriculum to support students’ learning.
Targeted Reading Tutor Position (TRT): Tutoring identified for at-risk 1st-8th grade students in reading using the K-12 Connect framework. TRT tutors work 1:1 virtually with students to help them read through understanding phonics, phonemic awareness, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. All TLT tutors receive extensive training and support specific to the program.
Why Tutor with K-12 Connect?
- Flexible schedule
- Give back to community
- Team building and collaboration
- Community-based learning experience working with K-12 students
- Hard and soft skill development (i.e. relationship building)
- Build your resume
- Network of peers and professional connections
- Enhance virtual competencies
- Job opportunities after graduation
- Ongoing coaching