Duo Multifactor Authentication
Multifactor Authentication (MFA) will be required for all faculty and staff using Banner Self-Service (SSB) on 10/20/2021 and Blackboard on 10/26/2021.
Click here to sign up for Duo Request Duo
Once signed in you'll click the 'Request Access' button under the Duo panel.
What is Duo and Multifactor Authentication?
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), commonly referred to as Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) provides an additional layer of security for users logging in to a secure environment.
MFA leverages multiple types of authentication:
- Something you know (GVSU Network ID & password)
- Something you have (physical device)
- Something you are (e.g. fingerprint, facial recognition)
GVSU uses Duo Security as its MFA solution. Duo makes authentication easy by allowing individuals to verify their identity using a mobile device - either through an app or using a code sent via text.
All Faculty and Staff will need Duo beginning Fall of 2021
All Faculty and Staff using Banner SSB will be required to use Duo beginning 10/20/2021.
All Faculty and Staff using Blackboard will be required to use Duo beginning 10/26/2021.
- NOTE: Classroom instructor stations will NOT require Duo for Fall 2021 and Winter 2022
All Faculty and Staff using the Pulse Secure VPN application for remote access will be required to use Duo when connecting to the VPN beginning February 10, 2020.
Please note that not all faculty and staff will require the VPN to connect securely from off campus. Most Windows 8 and Windows 10 users won’t need to use the VPN since Direct Access allows access to common services while remote without the need for the VPN. The criteria below will help determine if the VPN is needed in your case for a secure connection. If you have any questions please contact the IT Service desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or (616) 331-2101.
VPN is not required for accessing library resources. If you have difficulty connecting to library resources please contact the library for assistance at (616) 331-3500 or by submitting the library's support form.
You do not need to connect to the VPN if:
- All work is performed on a GVSU imaged Windows 8 or Windows 10 computer both on campus and at home.
You will need to connect to the VPN if:
- A personal computer or device is used to access any GVSU data or systems while off campus.
- A GVSU imaged Mac computer is used to access any GVSU data or systems while off campus
Systems that require Duo
Systems requiring VPN when connecting from off campus, regardless of device:
- Banner Admin
- Banner Workflow
For faculty and staff the following systems will require Duo:
- Banner SSB (effective: 10/20/2021)
- Blackboard (effective: 10/26/2021)
If you are not already setup and using Duo
- Click on the ‘Request Duo’ button below.
- After enrolling in Duo MFA you will receive directions for updating the Pulse Secure application to connect using Duo.
How do you sign up for DUO?
If you need to sign up for DUO you can do so by logging in here:
Once signed in you'll click the 'Request Access' button under the Duo panel, as shown.