GVSU defines a successful roommate relationship as residents who can co-exist safely and respectfully. To avoid unnecessary conflicts, clear communication and boundaries are important. The HRL Roommate Agreement helps residents set clear expectations, reduce conflicts, and improve communication around key issues that might result in conflict.
Step One: Roommate Meeting
1. Set up a time (60 minutes is recommended) for all roommates to meet, without any guests or other distractions present. It is important the all roommates are present and all voices are heard.
2. Discuss the following concepts, determining expectations and schedules that are agreed upon by all roommates
3. Take notes!
If you are stuck on one or more sections, contact your RA as they may be able to help guide you through the process.
Cleaning: Determine specific expectations related to cleaning including schedule, persons responsible, frequency, products used, and how products will be purchased. The HRL Roommate Agreement form requires the following information:
- Specific expectations determined related to the washing and storing of dishes including how often dishes will be washed and by whom.
- Specific expectations determined related to trash and recycling including how often trash and recycling will be taken out and by whom.
- Specific expectations determined related to the general upkeep/cleaning of the unit - including floors, surfaces, and putting away personal belongings.
- Determined plan for addressing cleanliness issues.
Guests: Determine specific expectations related to guests. The HRL Roommate Agreement form requires the following information:
- Specific expectations determined related to guests. Which guests will be allowed, how often, and for how long? What is the plan for securing roommate approval for guests? What spaces and items are guests permitted to use while visiting?
- Determined plan for addressing guest issues.
Sleeping & Noise: Determine specific expectations related to sleeping and studying conditions within the unit. The HRL Roommate Agreement form requires the following information:
- Agreed upon "quiet time", "bedtime", or "lights out" time. This may vary day to day based on class schedules.
- What type of noise (television, phone calls, music, etc.) is permitted within the unit when other roommate is studying.
- What type of noise (television, phone calls, music, etc.) is permitted within the unit when other roommate is sleeping.
- Determined plan for addressing noise and sleep-related issues.
Shareable Items: Determine specific expectations related to personal and shared items and supplies. The HRL Roommate Agreement form requires the following information:
- What specific food items may be shared, under what conditions, and how shared items will be purchased. (i.e. milk, bread, condiments)
- What specific household items may be shared, under what conditions, and how shared items will be purchased. (i.e. dish soap, cleaning products, food storage bags, etc.)
- What specific technologies and appliances may be shared and under what conditions. (i.e. laptop, tablet, gaming consoles, etc.)
- What specific personal items may be shared and under what conditions. (i.e. clothing,toiletry items, etc.)
General Items: Discuss additional considerations, concerns, and expectations. The HRL Roommate Agreement form requires the following information:
- Describe the general expectations related to communication, together time, and personal time within the unit. (i.e. always say good morning, roommate dinner once a week, etc.)
- Describe the general determined guidelines related to addressing concerns and in which situations additional individuals will be involved (i.e. significant others, parents, RA, GVSU reporting forms)
- Describe any health precautions determined by roommates (i.e. food or products not used or stored in unit)
- Describe the specific expectations determined related to social media posts (preferences and parameters related to post and photo tagging, etc.) *
Step Two: Submission of Roommate Agreement Form
1. One roommate will need to sign in using GVSU credentials. (Only one HRL Roommate Agreement form is needed per unit)
2. Roommate completes form in its entirety, including roommate names and email addresses so all roommates receive a copy of the submitted form
3. Complete with roommate(s) within the first two weeks. Due September 11, 2020.
You will not be able to go back and edit your roommate agreement, but you can always resubmit one if needed.
When filling out the roommate agreement, it is important to have all roommates present in order to get an accurate portrayal of how the unit with operate. Not having all residents present may cause roommate disagreements early on that could potentially be avoided. Please take the time to go over each section to talk about how you would like this year to go. Filling out this form as accurate and honest as possible is ideal as RAs will use this as a guide if a roommate mediation is deemed necessary. If you have any questions, contact your RA, ALCD, or LCD.