Schaner earns AP Achievement Award
The Administrative Professional Committee presented Betty Schaner with its highest recognition, the AP Achievement Award, during an April 19 ceremony at the DeVos Center for Interprofessional Health.
Schaner is the assistant dean for Student Academic Services and Advising in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and has worked at Grand Valley for 30 years. Monica Johnstone, CLAS director of communications and advancement, called Schaner an "uncommon colleague."
"Betty has been a colossal gift to our students for many years," Johnstone said. "Not only does she have comprehensive knowledge to bring to their aid, she also understands where there might be a little give in our systems to help a student in a tight spot."
Both President Philomena V. Mantella and Chris Plouff, interim provost and executive vice president for Academic Affairs, gave remarks, thanking AP staff members for their work and celebrating their accomplishments.
Mantella said: "I'm really grateful that you have taken this time for recognition. It's natural to keep working quickly and planning for the future. I thank you for stopping and pausing to recognize excellence."
Other AP Awards
- Outstanding Academic Advising and Student Services Award: Mike Stoll, senior academic advisor, Kirkhof College of Nursing
- Commitment to Diversity Award: Stacy Burns, programs and operations manager for University Libraries
- Commitment to Students Award: Katie Jourdan, student health promotions coordinator for Recreation and Wellness
- Innovation Award: Erica Herwig, assistant controller, Business and Finance Office
- Service to Community Award: Daphnea Sutherland, director of the Children's Enrichment Center
- Outstanding Team Project Award:
- GVSU SAVE, a collaboration with the Laker Store, eLearning Technologies and Enterprise Applications; team members: Tom Bevington, Chris Boerma, Vince St. Germain, Colleen Cameron, Katie Clark, DaMar Boyd, Mike Grannan and Todd Michalski
- Women's Commission Family Leave Task Force, which researched and recommended to senior leadership a family leave policy that was implemented in 2021; team members: Kristen Evans, Emily Frigo, Kate Harmon, Caitlin Horrocks, Yumi Jakobcic, Samantha Minnis, Jennifer Okada, Jennifer Palm, Raquel Ramirez, Hannah Seidel, Amanda Syers, Casey Thelenwood, Meagan Treadway, Jenna Vainner, Meghan Veltri.
Sign up and receive the latest Grand Valley headlines delivered to your email inbox each morning.