Virus Action Team update: COVID-19 Vaccine opportunity
There are two urgent messages from the Virus Action Team: one about an immediate COVID-19 vaccine opportunity and the other about increasing COVID cases and community spread.
The West Michigan Vaccine Clinic at DeVos Place in Grand Rapids, operated by Kent County, Spectrum Health and Mercy Health, in collaboration with Vaccinate West Michigan, has expanded vaccine availability to those 16 and older.
- The clinic operates by appointment only. Most can now self schedule online. To set up an appointment for those who are 16 or 17 years old, or those needing special assistance, call 833-755-0696.
- While this is not a Grand Valley sponsored or operated event, it is likely one of your best opportunities to get a vaccine appointment quickly.
- You don’t have to live in Kent County to schedule an appointment.
COVID cases are continuing to increase across the state and within the Grand Valley community. This is not the time to let down your guard. Many people are choosing to travel, which increases the risk of getting and spreading the virus.
- The U.K. variant is believed to be circulating widely in the community, with an additional case recently confirmed at Grand Valley. Variants are more contagious and spread more quickly than the original virus.
- Wear a face covering indoors, and outdoors when not alone, and practice social distancing. If traveling, obtain a test three to five days after return.
- If you have received the COVID-19 vaccine, you can still contract and transmit the virus; you must continue to follow safety protocols.
Let’s remain diligent and stay the course. Your commitment to protecting others will help slow the spread.