Virtual Faculty Convocation will recognize outstanding contributions, years of service
Faculty members will be honored for outstanding contributions and
years of service to Grand Valley at the annual Faculty Convocation on
Tuesday, February 9.
The virtual program will begin at noon; register online to receive a Zoom link.
Awards will be presented for University Excellence, along with awards
from the Pew Faculty Teaching and Learning Center and Center for
Scholarly and Creative Excellence. Service awards will recognize
faculty members with 25-50 years of service.
Top row from left, are Felix Ngassa, Sally Pelon, Jack Mangala and C.
"Griff" Griffin; bottom row, from left, are Tara Kneeshaw,
Naoki Kanaboshi and Todd Aschenbach.
Image Credit: University Communications
A list of award recipients is below.
University Excellence Awards:
- Glenn A. Niemeyer Award: Felix Ngassa, professor of chemistry
- University Outstanding Teacher Award: Sally Pelon, associate
professor of social work
- Distinguished Contribution in a Discipline: Jack Mangala,
professor of area/global studies and political science
- Outstanding University Service Award: C. "Griff"
Griffin, professor of general education and biology
- Outstanding Community Services Award: Todd Aschenbach, associate
professor of biology
- Outstanding Advising and Student Services Award: Tara Kneeshaw,
assistant professor of geology
- Internationalization Award: Naoki Kanaboshi, associate professor
of criminal justice
- Michigan Distinguished Professor of the Year: Stephen Mattox,
professor of geology
Pew Awards for Excellence:
- Burch, Jacobs, Moore Diversity Teaching Excellence Award: Reginald
Blockett,assistant professor of education
- Teaching Excellence Award for Part-Time Faculty: Isaac Simon,
adjunct instructor of communications
- Excellence Award for Teaching, Learning Enrichment: Gayle Schaub,
- Teaching with Technology Awards: Krista Benson, assistant
professor of integrative, religious, and intercultural studies; and
Elizabeth Storey, assistant professor of education
- Teaching Excellence Awards: Carrie Buist, assistant professor of
criminal justice; Erica Hamilton, assistant professor of education;
Laura Hawk, assistant professor of chemistry; and Misti Ryefield,
assistant professor of allied health sciences.
Center for Scholarly and Creative Excellence Awards:
- Distinguished Graduate Mentoring Awards: Andrea Bostrom, professor
of nursing; and Karyn Rabourn, assistant professor of education
- Distinguished Undergraduate Mentoring Awards: Lori
Houghton-Rahrig, associate professor of nursing; and Randy
Winchester, associate professor of chemistry
- Distinguished Early-Career Scholar Awards: Abdullah Alrebh,
assistant professor of sociology; Jaclyn Cwick, assistant professor
of criminal justice; Byron DeVries, assistant professor of computing
and information systems; and Leanne Kang, assistant professor of education.
More information about these award recipients is online at gvsu.edu/provost.
Provost Maria Cimitile
Christine Rener, Director of the Pew FTLC and vice provost for instructional development and innovation
Robert Smart, executive director for the Center for Scholarly and Creative Excellence and vice provost for research administration