Virus Action Team Update: Reducing risk of COVID-19 during the holidays
The GVSU Virus Action Team shared important dates about COVID-19 testing, and information on ways to reduce the risk of contracting the virus or spreading it to family members and friends.
- The GVSU Surveillance Testing Program will not be open the week of November 23. Surveillance testing, which is for those who do NOT have symptoms or exposure, will resume the week of November 30.
- Email invitations to test through the GVSU Surveillance Testing Program will be sent November 24 to those we believe will be returning to campus after Thanksgiving.
- The GVSU/Spectrum Health symptomatic testing site at the Commons on the Allendale Campus will remain open the week of Nov. 23 by appointment. Schedule through MyChart or call (833) 734-0020. After an appointment is scheduled, Spectrum will give information for pre-registration and the number to call upon arrival for an appointment.
- If you are currently in quarantine or isolation and returning home, you must continue to quarantine or isolate until you are released by the health department or GVSU. Discuss details with family members to avoid putting them at risk.
- Continue to fill out the GVSU online self-assessment daily.
STAY SAFE while at home: (See CDC guidelines on holiday gatherings)
- Wear face coverings at all times when around anyone you haven’t been living with, even family members.
- Where possible, stay 6 feet apart from everyone, including family, particularly if anyone must remove their face covering (such as during meals).
- Where possible, avoid physical contact with others (for example, avoid hugging elderly relatives or others in high-risk groups).
- Do not attend gatherings outside the home (for example, do not meet up with high school friends in town).
- Monitor for symptoms twice a day.
- Consider getting a flu shot.