Skip to main content

GV Now

Alumnus featured on Shark Tank May 5

  • Alumnus Jason Growhowski stands in front of a wall-mounted desk unit while wearing a suit in a big city holding a phone.

Posted on May 02, 2019

"For that reason, I'm out." Or, "I'd like to make you an offer." Which sentence will alumnus Jason Grohowski hear?

Viewers can find out Sunday, May 5, at 10 p.m. ET on ABC, when Grohowski appears on the television show "Shark Tank" to pitch his idea to a group of five investors or "sharks." 

The invention is called DeskView, a window-mounted product that can serve as a standing desk, side table, floating shelf or book shelf.

Grohowski and his business partner, Mike Bolos, were selected to be on the show after attending an open casting call in Chicago in 2018. 

Originally from Alpena, Grohowski moved to Chicago after he graduated from Grand Valley in 2012 with a bachelor's degree in finance. He was working in commercial real estate when he met Bolos in 2017.

"Mike, who is a lawyer, had an initial rough concept of the product," Grohowski said. "We spent nights and weekends working on it and then we used a firm to help us design a final product. From there, we raised money through a Kickstarter campaign."

Grohowski said people are finding out about the product through their website, on social media and by word-of-mouth. About 70 percent of their customers are consumers with the other 30 percent coming from business owners.

For more information about DeskView, visit