Find So Much, So Close, For So Much Less
AT GRAND VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY
Discover Grand Valley
The first thing you may learn about Grand Valley State University is that we’re just three hours from Chicago, right outside of Grand Rapids, Michigan’s second-largest city. Next up, you can discover the power of what can be through a wide array of opportunities, connections, and experiences such as:
- GVSU Out of State Scholarship for students with Chicago permanent addresses is the same as Michigan resident tuition;
- GVSU non-Michigan resident tuition is lower than in-state tuition of many academically comparable Chicago area schools;
- tuition for all of our 46 graduate programs is the same for out-of-state students as it is for Michigan students;
- our Award for Excellence Scholarship lowers non-Michigan resident students’ tuition below in-state GVSU tuition;
- our most popular programs and majors align with the most in-demand industries, including robust health professions, engineering, and business programs; and
- our beautiful campuses, amazing living centers, and active student life keep students engaged.
You’ll see how you will become a force for positive change, carving a path to a bright future that will set you apart from the pack and make an impact on your community and beyond. That is how Grand Valley graduates distinguish themselves. That is the Laker Effect.
We Are Closer Than You Think
Grand Valley State University, and its relevant and practical undergraduate and graduate programs, is closer to Chicago than you may realize. Just 30 minutes from Lake Michigan resort towns Holland and Grand Haven, Grand Valley’s main campus is in Allendale, MI, 13 miles from downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan’s second biggest city.
Low Out-of-State Tuition
Grand Valley State University is an outstanding academic investment for Chicago-area students. Not only does Grand Valley have one of the lowest tuition rates of any Michigan public university, our out-of-state total annual costs to attend are less than those of many academically comparable Chicago area and Illinois schools. Click the button below to see the annual costs to attend for each.
In addition, Grand Valley offers valuable scholarships for academically qualified students. For example, our Award for Excellence Scholarship awards non-Michigan residents the difference between full-time Michigan resident tuition and non-resident tuition plus an additional $2,000 per year (renewable up to a total of four years).
If you are looking for a rewarding and affordable graduate education, check out The Graduate School at GVSU. Graduate tuition is the same for in-state and out-of-state students, giving Chicago area students an even greater return on their investment.
We'll Come to You
Grand Valley State University wants you to be a Laker and has a dedicated admissions representative in the Chicagoland area to help you get here.
Wallace Holder has shared the Grand Valley story with students at a wide variety of Chicagoland high schools and helped thousands of those students find an academic home at Grand Valley. Each year, nearly 250 Chicago area students are part of Grand Valley’s 4,000+ student first-year class.
To learn when Wallace will be visiting a high school near you, contact him directly by phone or email.
Learn More About Grand Valley
Learn more about our passionate and engaged faculty.
Learn about hands-on learning opportunities at GVSU.
The Laker Effect
Watch our Laker Effect video for a GVSU overview.