Use our Instructor's Manual to prepare for a cruise aboard the D. J. Angus or the W. G. Jackson and also to learn more about the scientific procedures and equipment involved in water quality monitoring. We invite you to Click to Start Reading or select the topic you are interested in from the index below.
- Introduction: The D. J. Angus and W. G. Jackson ; Group size; A typical cruise
- Location of the Vessels
- Planning Your Trip
- Safety Procedures
- Using the Research and Education Vessels
- Environmental Monitoring: Biological properties of water; Physical properties of water; Chemical properties of water; Evaluation of water quality; Lake Michigan food web; Exotic or nonindigenous species
- Sampling Gear and Instruments
- Sampling Location: Why is the exact location of the sampling site important?; What is latitude and longitude?; What is a Global Positioning System (GPS)?; What is RADAR?; What other kinds of vessels navigate the lakes?; How does the weather affect navigation?
- Water Depth: How is the depth of water determined?; What is SONAR?; What are the types of depth finders?
- Water Sampling: How is water sampled on the vessels?; What are Van Dorn water sampling bottles?; Instructions for sampling with a Van Dorn bottle; What is a Kemmerer water sampler?
- Water Temperature: How is water temperature measured on the vessel?; What is the significance of temperature data?; How does the lake temperature vary throughout the year?
- Water Transparency: What is water transparency?; What is a Secchi disk?; What is the significance of Secchi disk readings?
- Water Color: What influences the color of the water?; What is the Forel-Ule color scale?; What is the significance of the color of the water?
- Turbidity: What is turbidity?; What is a Turbidity Meter?; What is the significance of turbidity?; Turbidity Tube
- Conductivity: What is conductivity?; How is conductivity measured?; What is the significance of conductivity?
- pH: What is pH?; How is pH measured?; What is the significance of pH?
- Alkalinity: What is alkalinity?; How is alkalinity measured?; What is the significance of alkalinity?
- Dissolved Oxygen: What is dissolved oxygen?; How is dissolved oxygen measured?; What is the significance of dissolved oxygen?
- Bottom Sampling: How are materials in lake and river bottom sampled?; What is a PONAR grab sampler?; How is bottom material studied?; What is found in bottom material?
- Plankton Sampling: What are plankton?; How are plankton sampled?; What is commonly found in plankton samples?
- Data Analysis
- Research Vessels Data Sheets
- Closing Questions / Questions for Students to Research
- Appendix A: Inter-relationships of Topics Covered on Cruises
- Appendix B: Equipment for Advanced Cruises
- Appendix C: Pictorial Directions for Water Analysis
- Appendix D: Drawings of Organisms Found on Cruises
Page last modified January 31, 2014