Skip to main content

Study Abroad

Non-GVSU Academics

This guide is for students participating in a Non-GVSU Program. 

Step 1: Research Courses Offered at the Host University

Research courses offered at the host university you've selected. Course information can be found by visiting the non-GVSU provider's website.

Please note, not all courses that are listed will be offered every semester. For questions regarding courses (including requesting a syllabus) contact the Non-GVSU provider directly (i.e. ISA, CEA, etc.)


Step 2: Review Existing Course Equivalencies

Some courses have already been approved to transfer back to GVSU a certain way. To view these courses, see Pre-approved Course Equivalencies.

If there is an existing course equivalency for the course you wish to take abroad, simply indicate the course you plan to take abroad on the Departmental Course Approval Form and turn it in to the Padnos International Center. No signature required. 

Step 3: Request Course Equivalencies

If the course you would like to take abroad has not already been approved, you will need to request a course equivalency from a relevant GVSU department to determine how the course would transfer back to GVSU.

To request  a course equivalency, you must contact the appropriate department contact (see below) by sending them an email (see Sample Email) or meeting with them in-person to fill out the Departmental Course Approval Form together.

The following information must be provided for each course you're seeking an equivalency for:

  • Detailed overseas course description (a syllabus is preferred)
  • Number of contact hours

If you are having any difficulty finding the above, contact the Padnos International Center for assistance.

Step 4: Send Forms to Padnos International Center

Emails with course equivalencies listed should be forwarded to Rebecca Hambleton at Completed 'Departmental Course Approval Forms' should also be turned in to Rebecca Hambleton.

Step 5: Fulfill General Education Credits (Optional)

Courses taken abroad can be used to fulfill General Education requirements including Issues, Foundations & Cultures and Supplemental Writing Skills.

Page last modified January 3, 2017