PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS PAGE BEFORE BEGINNING THE SELP FORM
The form will time-out after 20 minutes of inactivity.
We encourage you to pre-answer the open-ended questions before beginning the form.
Career and Professional Goals Questions
Part of the Grand Valley Career Center’s mission is to empower students and alumni to attain career goals. One of the ways that the Career Center does this is through the 5 Questions©. Please take a few minutes to answer the next set of questions. There is no right or wrong answer to these questions, there are only your answers; answers that may change as you discover who you are.
There is a maximum of 100 words for each of the questions below.
- What are my interests, passions, and values?
- What are my skills and abilities?
- What steps can I take to test them out?
- Where do I want to go?
- How do I get there?
Student Learning Outcomes Questions
The learning outcomes section is designed to help you develop skills and behaviors that will enhance your learning in 5 essential learning areas that align to the Grand Valley General Education Program. Each dimension is defined with a set of qualities that students should possess before graduating. After reading the definitions, please take time to reflect on each of these areas by the provided questions. Please be sure to include: academic, employment, involvement, and personal experiences in your self-assessments.
There is no minimum or maximum amount of words for these questions.
- Are you a critical thinker, creative thinker, or both? Explain.
- Explain your personal process of solving problems.
Written & Oral Communication
- Do you communicate better through written or oral communication? Explain.
- Does your ability to communicate effectively change depending on the environment? Explain.
Teamwork & Collaboration
- Do you like working in teams when it comes to your academics or work? Why or why not?
- Evaluate yourself as a team player based on the definition above.
Intercultural Knowledge & Competence
- Give an example of when someone's values or culture differed from your own.
- How comfortable do you feel interacting with people whose values or culture differ from your own? Please elaborate.
- Give an example of how your values have changed over time.