Disposal and Surplus Policies

Who has authority to dispose of University property?

Purchasing Services is responsible for the orderly disposal of surplus, obsolete and worn out equipment (GVSU Procedures Manual, Section 6). All items acquired by University departments, regardless of funding source, are considered property of the University and subject to the University's Property Disposal Policy and Procedures. Contact Purchasing at (616) 331-2283 if you have any questions or need assistance.

Does my department receive the proceeds from sale of surplus property?

Proceeds from any sale of surplus property will be deposited in a general revenue fund. Requests for transfer of funds to a specific department must be submitted in writing to the Assistant Vice President for Business and Finance.