Admissions for Occupational Therapy, M.S.O.T.
There are prerequisites to the Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (M.S.O.T) program. Please review before applying to ensure that you meet the requirements
Please read both the appropriate Candidate Information Sheet first:
A candidate may apply to only one program, either the Traditional or Hybrid Program, each year. Maximum class size for the Traditional Program is 40 and for the Hybrid Program is 20. Late applications will be considered assuming requirements are met and there is space in the program.
Program Admission Requirements
Admission to either program within the Occupational Therapy department requires:
- Completion of the Grand Valley State University graduate application, regardless of previous college attended
- All prerequisite courses completed and a bachelor's degree earned prior to entering the program. There will be no waivers or exceptions to this policy
- Completed applications and all Application Forms should be submitted by January 15 for both the traditional program and the OT Hybrid program.
Application Criteria and Components
- Academic achievement of a minimum 3.0 GPA in preprofessional courses and in the last 60 hours of undergraduate work. All preprofessional courses must be completed with a grade of C or better. Students are required to submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Recommendation letters (two) are required. One must be completed by a registered occupational therapist and the other by a professor who is able to comment on your academic performance. A Graduate Assistant, Teaching Assistant, or Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant do not qualify. For non-traditional students, an employer may be substituted for the academic professor requirement. The letters of recommendation (LOR) are now electronic with the instructions included in the graduate school application. If a student wishes to obtain a letter of recommendation prior to the senior year at the time of submitting the graduate school application, paper LORs are available. Click on the appropriate link for paper LORs:
- An interview and an onsite writing sample.
- Documented volunteer experience for a minimum of 50 hours under the supervision of an occupational therapist.
- Completion of Achievement Summary Form detailing student accomplishments that reflect the core goals of the program.
- International student applicants should be able to communicate well in English. The following minimal scores are expected: The minimum TOEFL score is 80 Internet-based, the minimum IELTS score is 6.5, and the minimum MELAB score is 77. Submission of an official TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB score report is required of applicants whose native language is not English. Only original score reports will be accepted.
Send application materials to:
- Graduate School applications may be obtained from the university Admissions Office or can be completed online.
- All paper application forms and supplemental application materials should be mailed to:
Grand Valley State University
1 Campus Dr.
Allendale, MI 49401
Please call the Occupational Therapy Department to discuss your application and timeline. Review our Admissions Policy.