GVSU Career Center
For information on what an internship is, where you can find one and how to receive credit for it, please check out the GVSU Career Center.
National Geographic http://education.nationalgeographic.com/programs/ngs-geography-internship/
US Forest Service http://www.fs.fed.us/working-with-us/jobs
City of Ann Arbor GIS Specialist https://a2gov.applicantpro.com/jobs/637874.html
GVSU Geography and Sustainable Planning
The Geography and Sustainable Planning Department is looking for a part-time undergraduate student employee.
Duration: Winter, Spring, Fall 2018. Flexible schedule, part-time approximately 250 hours total. Per hour student wage 2-10 hrs per week.
- Work directly with the Unit Head and Office Coordinator to assist the department with collection, databasing, and dissemination information about geography and sustainable planning student internships in West Michigan non-profit sector.
- Maintaining the department database of non-profit community partners and internship providers in geography and sustainable urban and regional planning;
- Regularly filing, posting and mailing internship-related information, updating such information on the department website and social media;
- GIS mapping of internship sites;
- Develop recruitment materials providing students with information about geography internships, emphasizing social and environmental justice.
Essential skills and requirements:
- Enrolled in geography major
- Sophomore or junior standing in Winter semester 2018
- Available to start immediately
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Good GIS mapping skills (GPY200 and GPY307 level or higher)
- Willing and able to travel alone to meetings in the greater Grand Rapids area and around.
How to apply: email of interest with a resume attached to Elena Lioubimtseva firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Media Managment Part-Time GIS
The ideal candidate is an upper-level GVSU student who has experience in ArcGIS mapping, Microsoft Access relational databases and marketing or business. The position will lean most heavily on mapping and GIS components, but PMM’s proprietary Access database will be used in conjunction to complete client projects. Supplemental classes in marketing and/or business are strongly preferred.
This position will be part-time, approximately 12-18 hours per week with option for more depending on project workload. It is an on-site position, located at Professional Media Management’s corporate office, 528 Bridge St NW, Suite #7, Grand Rapids, MI 49504.
- Junior or senior standing
- Knowledge of ArcGIS Mapping and GIS principles
- Some Knowledge of Access relational databases
- Experience in Business or marketing classes
PMM is located blocks away from Downtown Grand Rapids Campus.
Looking to fill position quickly, projected starting date of March 5th, interviews to be conducted week of 2/26/2018.
Part Time positions have a high propensity of evolving into full time positions based on performance.
Please submit your resume and available time to interview the week of 2/26/2018 to Cody Stricker at CStricker@professionalmediamanagement.com
Grand Valley Metropolitan Council - REGIS Programming/GIS Paid Internship
Grand Valley Metropolitan Council is looking for an intern to help maintain and program Internet mapping applications for desktop browsers and mobile devices in support of the Regional GIS (REGIS) as well as other internal GVMC departments. Applicants should have programming experience and aptitude. Candidates in the final year of a bachelor’s degree are preferred. Experience in: C#, VB, and Java script is required. Individual may also be called upon to perform other GIS related tasks, such as data entry and analysis.
This is a paid internship and available immediately with a possible conversion to full-time. Interested applicants should immediately send their resumes and queries to GVMC’s Human Resource Director Gayle McCrath, email@example.com
Company Profile: Successful consultancy expanding into new local government
communities and in need of support to provide professional planning and zoning
consultation to townships, cities, villages and private individuals.
Type: Part-time, as needed, independent contractor (1099)
Experience: Minimum of one (1) year in local government community planning and zoning.
Education: Bachelor's in Public Administration, Urban Planning or related field is preferred.
Familiarity with the Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, Michigan Planning Enabling Act,
Michigan Condominium Act, Michigan Land Division Act and other related local
government acts is preferred.
Description: The ideal associate will provide support to townships and other local
government communities by assisting Planning Commissions, Zoning Board of Appeals and
other Boards, as assigned, through application review, related analysis and
recommendation. Must be able to attend evening meetings. Candidate shall be available
by phone and email during normal business hours of assigned clients in order to provide
various support to the township or other governmental agency. High quality of service is
imperative. Potential for additional responsibilities and professional career growth as
company grows. Must possess personal computer, tablet or other device compatible with
Microsoft Office and capable of drafting numerous documents in a reasonable time.
Compensation: Hourly pay rate commensurate with experience. Position provides for a
flexible work opportunity. No office presence is required and the work is independently
mobile. Mileage reimbursement provided. Currently, no other benefits are offered.
To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to: Gregory L. Ransford, MPA at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Open until filled.
Global Mapping Strategies
Global Mapping Strategies is in need of a new associate.
In addition to GIS mapping skills, any of the experience below would be very helpful:
• Intermediate SQL (joins, unions, grouping, expressions, etc.)
• Internet Data Extraction experience
• Visual Basic and/or Python experience
• Experience with any GIS/CAD programs
• Internet savvy finding international data resources
• Intermediate Excel and Access skills along with reporting solutions
GMS is a nimble and fast growing firm with lots of opportunity. We help clients turn data into useful information by linking digital maps to their databases of customers, competitors and demographics.
We have opportunities for people beginning their careers and those considering a change in their career. GMS has work opportunities in Dearborn and Harper Woods.
GMS Business Manager
Allegan County Infrastructure Management
Allegan County is expanding its Health Department staff and is hiring for several new vacancies dealing with the county infrastructure management . These positions include issuing permits, and site inspections, and completing documentation for water wells, septic systems, and soil erosion / sedimentation control. For more information, please, see
If you have any questions, contact Brandon Jongkind, REHS, Environmental Health Specialist
Allegan County Health Department
3255 122nd Avenue Suite 200
Allegan, MI 49010
Phone: (269) 686-4501
Fax: (269) 673-4172
Cannon Township Zoning Administrator
Cannon Township is a growing residential community north of Grand Rapids. Its rolling hills, lakes and rivers, tree-lined roads, and abundant public and private recreational amenities make the Township an attractive and highly desirable place to live. The Township is seeking an experienced full-time zoning administrator who possesses the ability to balance enforcement to ensure the continued high quality development with a positive, customer-friendly attitude.
Successful candidates will have:
- High school graduation; associates degree or higher preferred
- Three (3) to five (5) years experience in local zoning administration
- Valid Michigan driver’s license o Knowledge of the structure, policies, and regulations of municipal government
Skills & Abilities
- Customer-friendly, service-oriented, diplomatic
- Strong oral and written communication
- Detail oriented o Ability to work independently
- Be proactive
- Proficient with Microsoft Windows/Office Word and Excel, the Internet, and GIS mapping software
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Review plans and applications
- Respond to public inquiries
- Maintain files
- Serve as secretary to the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals
- Update forms
- Perform inspections
- Enforce zoning regulations
- Coordinate Township watershed management program
Cannon Township is an equal opportunity employer, offering an excellent wage and benefits package, great working conditions, and the opportunity to be professionally challenged and grow. Wages will be dependent on qualifications and experience. Submit resume and a cover letter to: email@example.com
Stantec’s Urban Places: Urban Planning Intern
Job Location: Boston-MA-US
Number of Positions: 1
Discipline: Community Development
We design downtown revitalization plans, resiliency plans,
transportation corridors, streetscapes, and transit-oriented
developments. Stantec’s Urban Places is the place where great
ideas and rewarding careers happen. Our highly experienced,
multi-disciplinary team specializes in urban design; integration of
architecture, street design, public space design, and sustainability
with urban planning; bicycle, and pedestrian-oriented planning. We
connect the people, places, and resources that take a project from
concept to reality.
Interns are be encouraged to develop their skills while supporting
our team with new project proposals, existing conditions analysis,
concept design, and production of analysis and presentation
documents, and project presentation graphics.
Applicant should be a current student or recent graduate of an
accredited Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree urban architecture or
urban planning oriented program. We are seeking interns with
excellent design, graphic, computer, writing, and technical skills,
and who are self-motivated and passionate about design. The ideal
candidate should have strong time management, critical thinking,
and organizational skills, and have the ability to work with others,
as well as independently. Experience with AutoCAD, Microsoft
Office, SketchUp, and the Adobe Creative Suite is essential.
Visit stantec.jobs and search “Urban Planning Intern” to apply!
Full applications must be received by MARCH 16, 2018
Holland Board of Public Works: GIS Internship
Reports to: Superintendent of Water/Wastewater Services
Job Summary: This position is responsible for updating information within the BPW's GIS databases under the supervision of the GIS Analyst and the Superintendent of Water/Wastewater Services.
- Update infrastructure data in GIS by interpreting as-built data, service cards, or other verbal/written input.
- Utilize ArcGIS Pro/Desktop to update geometry and attribute data.
- Independently problem solve and research known solutions.
- Analyze GIS data to generate reports, metrics, and maps to show progress of maintenance and capital projects.
- Develop easy to interpret maps of utility infrastructure for use internally and externally.
- Provide utility GIS information in various formats as requested by end users - internal and external.
- Collect accurate field data following safety requirements and data collection procedures.
- Perform all other tasks assigned.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Geography, Engineering, Computer Science, Surveying, Urban Planning, or related field.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with various levels of organizational personnel.
- Previous experience with ESRI's ArcGIS Pro/Desktop application.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Normal office environment with minimum discomfort due to noise, dirt and dust.
- Mental ability to frequently handle pressures related to working on projects requiring attention to detail, and the simultaneous management of multiple projects.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties assigned or required of this position.
Apply at hollandbpw.com by clicking in the banner on Careers -> Employment Opportunities -> Apply Now
Or by navigating directly to https://www.hollandbpw.com/careers/employment-opportunities/forms
Semester in Detroit
GVSU and University of Michigan have partnered together to offer an exciting opportunity for students: the Semester in Detroit (SID) program. This program provides students a unique, immersive experience in which they live, work, and study in Detroit for a semester. The Semester in Detroit mission is to engage undergraduates in substantive, sustained and reciprocal relationships with the people and communities of the City of Detroit. Combining a semester-long residence in the city with rigorous academic study and a comprehensive community-based internship, SID students become deeply involved in – and committed to – the life, challenges, and promise of this important American city.
This opportunity is open to all students, but has been especially attractive to students who have a passion for social justice, urban history, or sustainability, or who just want a very in-depth, hands-on internship experience.
Fall 2018 Application Deadline: March 5, 2018
More information on the program can be found at www.semesterindetroit.com.
GRACE Project Intern Champions
GRACE Project Intern Champions will recruit and support students who want to qualify for paid internships as part of this National Science Foundation Project. GRACE Project Intern Champions must have a basic working knowledge of GIS and be able to assist potential GRACE Interns with completing the required web-based learning activities, tutorials, and lessons in time for a Summer 2018 placement.
1. Complete the ESRI Virtual Campus course: “GIS in the Classroom: Teaching with GIS” and submit your “Certificate of Completion”
2. Maintain familiarity with all elements of the NSFgrace.net website
3. Recruit/Identify potential student interns candidates
4. Support 3 – 10 student intern candidates
5. Check in with student intern candidates regularly
6. Assist candidates in accessing and using all relevant sites included in their training
7. Assist with downloading and registering ESRI Desktop software
8. Assist candidates with registering and logging into your school ArcGIS Online Organization (AGOO) Account
9. Assist candidates when they encounter roadblocks in training requirements
10. Work with GRACE Project Intern Facilitators to identify potential GIS Intern Supervisors in the local community where the GRACE Interns Candidates might be placed
11. Submit a monthly Student Status Log to the GRACE Internship Team to document the progress and completion of internship candidate preparation activities.
$100.00 – for assisting each GRACE Intern candidate through completion of ALL required web-based learning experiences, tutorials, and lessons to become eligible for internship placement.
Please send an email to Dr. Peggy Gaskill, GRACE Teacher PD Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org Include your NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS, TELEPHONE NUMBER, SCHOOL, SCHOOL DISTRICT. There will be a phone interview and required orientation conducted by members of the GRACE Team. Application deadline March 5, 2018.
Expectations for GRACE Student Intern Candidates
- Register as a GRACE Intern candidate http://www.nsfgrace.net/helpdesk/index.php
- Download and install ESRI ArcGIS Pro software.
- Register and login to an ESRI ArcGIS Online Organization (AGOO) account
- Complete ESRI web-based learning experiences, tutorials, and lessons as described on the NSFgrace.net website
- Submit course completion certificates
- Work with a GRACE Intern Champion to identify potential GIS intern supervisors in the local community.
- As a GRACE Intern candidate, participate in an interview with a GIS professional
- If accepted, GRACE Interns will complete a 120 hour internship
- Upon completion of the Internship, GRACE Interns will receive a $1200.00 stipend
- Through completion of courses and the intern experience, GRACE Interns may be adequately prepared to consider sitting for a GIS Technician Certification exam.
GRACE Project Student Interns
GRACE Project is recruiting high school students to participate this Summer, 2018, in the GIS (Geographical Information System) Internship Program. GRACE PROJECT provides students with professional GIS/T training and opportunities to gain work experiences in local organizations as Interns. Students will have access to ESRI Virtual Campus for their online learning activities.
This is a paid internship ($1,200) within a student’s own community. Students who are interested in GRACE Internship Program can register as a GRACE Intern candidate at http://www.nsfgrace.net/helpdesk/index.php. If you have questions about GRACE student internship program, send email to Allison Hoff at email@example.com.
Ada Township Parks & Recreation Internship
Title: Internship: Parks & Recreation - 2018
Reports to: Director, Parks & Recreation Department
Positions Supervised: No staff supervision. To assist other staff and volunteers.
Broad Statement of Responsibilities:
This is a seasonal position, May through August 2018, set up as an Internship
experience. The Intern will assist the Ada Township Parks & Recreation Department in
facilitating a variety of outdoor recreation and education programs along with natural
resource management and maintenance needs in the Township parks and preserves.
A significant part of the work is outdoors, on weekdays between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and
4:00 p.m., with an occasional Saturday. Compensation: hourly wage.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assist with planning and implementing outdoor recreation and education programs and
services for youth, families and adults.
2. Assist with the instruction and supervision of program participants.
3. Assist with the registration and data management of recreation program participants.
4. Assist with the marketing and promotions of recreation and education programs.
5. Assist with maintenance projects, grounds upkeep, stewardship work, gardens and
landscaping in Township parks and preserves.
6. Assist visitors in the parks, park office and program participants as needed.
7. Work with and assist volunteers in a positive and productive manner.
8. Cleaning of park and office facilities as needed.
9. Performs other tasks as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. General knowledge of and interest in natural resources, parks, recreation, leisure services
and/or environmental education.
2. Ability to work in outdoor conditions including diverse weather, insects and plants.
Ability to move across rough terrain and work manual landscaping tools.
3. Working knowledge of computers and current software.
4. Applicant should be enrolled in a related college degree program or have graduated with a
5. Professional work ethic and demonstrated ability to work with others in a positive manner;
ability to work independently, adhere to schedules and deadlines.
1. Interested applicants need to submit a cover letter, resume and references to:
Mark Fitzpatrick, Director, Ada Township Parks & Recreation Department
P.O. Box 370, 7330 Thornapple River Dr., Ada, MI 49301 or via email at
2. Applicants need to complete an Ada Township application form and participate in an
3. Applicants need to submit to their own college for credits.
Contact: Mark Fitzpatrick at 616-676-0520 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.