Department of English
Named in honor of former department member E. William Oldenburg, the contest offers GVSU students first-place cash prizes of $50 and second- and third-place prizes of $25 in each of the following categories.
- Personal, analytical, or persuasive essay written by a freshman.
- Personal essay written by a sophomore, junior, or senior.
- Analytical or persuasive essay written by a sophomore, junior, or senior.
- Poetry written by any GVSU undergraduate student. A small portfolio of three to five poems would be an appropriate entry. A single poem normally would not be considered.
- Fiction written by any GVSU undergraduate student. One short story per entrant.
- Drama written by any GVSU undergraduate student. One short play per entrant.
- Essay, poetry, fiction, or drama written by a GVSU graduate student.
Entries must have been written while the enrolled at GVSU. One entry max per category. Writing entered in a prior year may not be resubmitted. Entries should be typed, double-spaced (photocopies are acceptable) and submitted with a detachable cover-sheet indicating:
- title of the work
- category entered
- contestant's name and student ID
- address, phone number, and e-mail
Place contestant's name on the cover-sheet only, not on the manuscript.
The entry deadline is March 1, 2013.
Winners will be notified by letter. The awards will be made at the English Department Awards Ceremony April 19, 2013.
Page last modified December 2, 2012