Start a School
Starting a charter school requires commitment, dedication, and a strong desire to make a difference in a community. Attractive charter school applicants can demonstrate that they have a strong probability of creating a high quality public charter school.
Applications are reviewed February 1, April 1, July 1, and November 1 of each year.
Submission Instructions for Applicants
All Phase I Applications and Site Addition Applications are collected through Epicenter, a web-based system used by GVSU for document collection. To obtain access to Epicenter, please do the following:
- Provide a Letter of Intent to Submit a Phase I Application to the Director of Governance and Compliance, Alyson Murphy, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter must not exceed one page, and must include the proposed school name and opening date.
- After submitting your letter, applicants will receive an email from Epicenter Administration with log-in instructions.
- Charter Application Review Process and Criteria for Review
- Phase 1 Application (Word)
- Additional Site Application (Word)
If you are starting a charter school, you'll want to know the details about the education landscape surrounding your proposed site location. Visit www.mi-school.net to explore the Michigan education system through interactive maps and reports. School performance data is integrated with community-level data by shading maps and filtering school performance.
Need more information? Please email Alyson Murphy, director of governance and compliance, or call (616) 331-2240.