Bus Service - Holidays/Breaks
GVSU bus services change with the class schedules, so when classes are not in session the bus may be running on limited "Break Service". Our "Break Service" route combines Routes 37, 48 and 50.
Listed below are dates that buses are NOT in service or are on Break Service Schedule (limited service). We frequently update this page with a list of dates surrounding upcoming breaks/holidays to let you know if the bus is running.
ROAD CONSTRUCTION ALERT! Beginning Tuesday, 9/3/13, the city of Grand Rapids will be closing Lake Michigan Dr between Seward and National. Traffic will be rerouted to Fulton St via Straight Ave and Seward Ave. Buses will also reroute, but the bus stops near Pew Campus should not be affected other than possible delays from the traffic detour. Road work/detours expected to last until mid-November 2013. Click here for more info on this project. UPDATE 9/4/13: The Rt 50 Westbound bus stop at the NW corner of Lake Michigan Dr and Seward has been moved east approx 50 feet due to the detour.
Route Schedule & Frequency:
Monday - Friday: 6:30a - 8:45p (hourly service)
Saturday - Sunday: "Break Service" often not available on weekends - please refer to listings by date (below)
NOTE: Transitions / Move-In Week in August the buses run on an extended break schedule
THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY BREAK GVSU BUS SERVICE HOURS:
Monday, 11/25 - Normal Fall/Winter Schedule
Tuesday, 11/26 - Normal Fall/Winter Schedule
Wednesday, 11/27 - Break Service Schedule
Thursday, 11/28 - NO GVSU SERVICE
Friday, 11/29 - Break Service Schedule
Saturday, 11/30 - Break Service Schedule
Sunday, 12/1 - Resume Normal Fall/Winter Schedule
Monday, 12/2 - Normal Fall/Winter Schedule
DECEMBER HOLIDAY BREAK GVSU BUS SERVICE HOURS:
Friday, 12/13 - Normal Fall/Winter Schedule
Saturday, 12/14 - Normal Fall/Winter Schedule
Sunday, 12/15 - Break Service Schedule
Monday, 12/16 - Break Service Schedule
Tuesday, 12/17 - Break Service Schedule
Wednesday, 12/18 - Break Service Schedule
Thursday, 12/19 - Break Service Schedule
Friday, 12/20 - Break Service Schedule
Saturday, 12/21 - Break Service Schedule
Sunday, 12/22 - Break Service Schedule
Monday, 12/23 - Break Service Schedule
Tuesday, 12/24 - NO GVSU SERVICE
Wednesday, 12/25 - NO GVSU SERVICE
Thursday, 12/26 - NO GVSU SERVICE
Friday, 12/27 - NO GVSU SERVICE
Saturday, 12/28 - NO GVSU SERVICE
Sunday, 12/29 - NO GVSU SERVICE
Monday, 12/30 - NO GVSU SERVICE
Tuesday, 12/31 - NO GVSU SERVICE
Wednesday, 1/1 - NO GVSU SERVICE
Thursday, 1/2 - Break Service Schedule
Friday, 1/3 - Break Service Schedule
Saturday, 1/4 - Break Service Schedule
Sunday, 1/5 - Break Service Schedule
Monday, 1/6 - Normal Fall/Winter Schedule
* Please note that the Break Connector Schedule does not include Route 51 (CHS Express/Dash to the Hill)
Dash to the Hill service (without GVSU additional service - no nights/weekends):
Monday - Friday, 5:45a - 6:00p (5-20 minute service)
Saturday/Sunday, no service
Which schedule do I refer to?
Fall / Winter Semesters (in general, first day of class to end of exam week, with exceptions below)
Dates of "Holidays/Break Service" to include:
- Labor Day (no GVSU service)
- Thanksgiving (no GVSU service)
- December Semester Break (break/reduced GVSU service)
- Christmas Eve through New Years Day (no GVSU service entire period)
- Days prior to start of Winter Semester (break/reduced GVSU service)
- Martin Luther King Jr Holiday (break/reduced GVSU service - 20 min svc)
- GVSU Spring Break (break/reduced GVSU service)
- Semester Break prior to start of Spring Semester (break/reduced GVSU service)
- Fall Semester:
Spring / Summer Semesters (in general, first day of class to end of exam week, with exceptions below)
Dates of "Holidays/Break Service" to include:
- Memorial Day (no GVSU service)
- Independence Day (no GVSU service)
- Semester Break prior to start of Fall Semester (break/reduced GVSU service)
- Transitions/Move-In (extended break service)
- Spring Semester:
Route Transfer Opportunities:
- Route change for Fall 2012: all-day connection to Rapid Central Station. Riders at Eberhard Center (Pew) stop should watch for bus coming from the North to go to Central Station (Eastbound) and the bus from the South will be on its way to Allendale Campus (Westbound).
- At Lake Michigan Dr. and Seward Ave. you can transfer to bus #9 (Alpine) or #51 (Health Sciences/DASH to the Hill).
- At Meijer (at Lake Michigan Dr. and Wilson Ave.) you can transfer to #7 (West Leonard or #12 (West Fulton).
Featured Stops on this Route:
- Rapid Central Station - transfer to any Rapid route and ride for free with your GVSU ID.
- Pew Campus - Front Ave between Eberhard Center and DeVos Center, Lake Michigan Dr. at Seward Parking Ramp
- Lake Michigan Dr. & Covall shopping plaza - Big Apple Bagel, Rite Aid, BC Pizza, Snap Fitness, and Bank of America
- Lake Michigan Dr. & Collindale - Family Fare and Speedway
- Bayberry Apartments
- Walker Fire Station is a park & ride stop. You can park your car in the lot and hop on the bus here!
- Lake Michigan Dr. & Wilson Meijer is another park & ride location. Shopping plaza features Meijer, Panera Bread, Jet's Pizza, Chowhound Pets, Fifth-Third Bank and more.
- Allendale Campus bus stops at Mackinac Hall and the Kirkhof Center
- NOTE: pull the pull-stop cord at any time and the driver will stop at the next Rapid stop.
- From Allendale Campus - the break route does the apartment loop before heading downtown. Be sure to ask the driver (or the sign outside may reflect direction that bus is heading) if bus is going to apartment loop or to downtown.
Page last modified October 9, 2013