Virus Action Team update: New COVID-19 information
We are getting closer to the opening of the 2021-2022 academic year. Preparations are underway across the university for a vibrant semester, and we are answering the call for more in-person classes and activities. GVSU announced changes to our COVID-19 policies last week, all in service of community safety.
Many of you have responded with questions and we are working to answer them, provide individual support and educate around COVID and requirements. Below is a highlight of additional information you’ve requested. The Lakers Together website continues to be where all information about COVID protocols is held, including how to get your vaccines to ensure a smooth transition to the Fall semester.
- Vaccine Requirement and Exemption Process: The FDA is expected to provide full approval to the vaccine in early September, so all students and employees should be vaccinated by September 30 unless approved for an exemption. An Exemption Request Form is online for students, faculty and staff seeking to meet exemption requirements. Medical forms can be securely uploaded online.
- Free Vaccine Clinics will be available on campus during move-in week and the first week of classes.
- Report Your Vaccination Status: Take a moment and record your vaccination status on your online self-assessment. Remember, if you have not reported, we must assume you are unvaccinated for the purpose of decision making.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Our list of FAQs on the Lakers Together site includes the addition of new information to questions emerging about COVID-19 requirements. These will continue to be updated with the latest information.
- Face Covering Policy: Face coverings are required in all indoor spaces for all students, faculty, staff and visitors on our campuses. The need to mask is based on our new university alert level system. We will start the Fall semester at Alert Level 2 as a precautionary measure with the opportunity to relieve the requirements as we reach full compliance with vaccines or approved exemptions.
We are returning to a more open campus with many more of the in-person classes and activities we all want. Thank you for your commitment to the health and well-being of our campus community.