Blackboard Ally: Ally for Students
Ally is a tool to help make your course content more accessible. Ally creates alternative formats for files that are uploaded by the instructor to make a more effective learning experience for everyone.
Download alternative formats of your course files - choose from semantic HTML, audio, electronic braille and more.
A list of formats include:
- Tagged PDF - Can be used on for Word, Powerpoint and OpenOffice/LibreOffice files
- BeeLine Reader - Can increase reading comprehension and speed by color-coding important aspects
- HTML - Mobile-friendly great for viewing in browsers or mobile phones
- Audio - Translated the written text into audio to be listened to
- Electronic Braille - Used for electric braille displays, useful for the visually impaired students
- ePub - Great for ebook readers
- OCR’d - For scanned documents
Ally creates alternative formats of your course files based on the original. These formats are made available with the original file so students can find everything in one convenient location.
Alternative formats are intended to be used by those who have trouble reading the original formate that is provided by the instructor. The focus is to be more inclusive to people with disabilities but alternative formats can be used by anyone to increase productivity.
To get alternative formats simply click on the A icon next to the file name. Then select the formate that you want to download the document as. See ally document for students for more info