Driver Approval, Vehicle Use, and Car Rental Procedures
Student Driver Approval Request
All students driving university-owned, rented, or personal vehicles on behalf of Grand Valley State University must complete the following procedures. Students must complete this process every academic year. All permissions will expire at the end of the current academic year.
Students will be approved or denied based on an approval matrix that takes into account their license tenure, recent traffic accidents, and recent driving violations or convictions.
Advisor / Sponsor:
Enter the student's contact information into the online form below (Student name, G-number, and email address). You will need your network ID to access this form.
The student driver will receive an email with a unique link to fill out their personal information securely through CMS. The student will need the following information:
- Driver's License Number/State Issued
- Date of Birth
- Phone Number
**If the student meets the driver age requirement and will be driving a 12 or 15 passenger van, they must review the Driver Awareness Training below (video or pdf format) and indicate whether they have completed this task.
**If the student's driver's license was issued by a state other than Michigan, they will be required to obtain their out-of-state driving record and upload it via the form. This can often be done online. Please understand, there may be fees and it may take time to receive the records. The student will not be eligible to drive until the process is completed.
**The student will be asked to sign the form, granting permission for their driving record to be queried through the Department of State and/or viewed by GVSU representatives.
- Students 18 - 20 are only permitted to drive sedans or mini-vans.
- Students 21 and older are permitted to drive all vehicles including 12 or 15 passenger vans in and out of state (must complete driver awareness training for 12 and 15 passenger vans)
Advisor / Sponsor:
Sponsors will be notified via email when a request is approved or denied. Sponsors will also be able to log in to the request database and view the drivers they entered and whether they were approved or denied.
If a driver is denied, they do have the opportunity to appeal via email. Please have the driver include their name, which department they are requesting to drive for, and a brief explanation as to why their request should be reconsidered or they believe the denial was in error.
Third-Party Driver Exceptions
For departments wishing to have a third-party driver authorized to operate a university-owed, rented, or personal vehicle on behalf of GVSU, follow the following steps:
- The sponsor will fill out the Motor Vehicle Record Check Request
- The first question asks whether the driver is a GVSU faculty, staff, or student - select no
- The sponsor will be prompted to enter the driver's contact information as well as answer additional questions about the person requesting exception, the type of vehicle requested, and operational considerations.
- The driver will receive an email with a unique link where they can securely submit their Driver's license number/issuing state, date of birth, and phone number, and indicate whether they have completed the driver awareness course.
- Note: If the driver's license was issued by a state other than Michigan, the driver will be required to obtain a copy of their driving record and upload it.
- Once the driver has completed the form, their Michigan driving record will be run, or their non-Michigan driving record will be reviewed, and the driver will be approved or denied.
- The sponsor will receive an email indicating whether the driver was approved or denied.