How do I transfer a course?

If you are considering taking a course outside of GVSU, you will want to make sure that the course will transfer back. The best way to do this is to check the Course Equivalency Guide for the Michigan school you will be attending. The left hand column will show the other school's course numbering system and the middle column will show the GVSU evaluation of that course. If you are attending an out of state school you should provide the advising center with a course description of the course you intend to take so that it can be evaluated prior to taking it.

  • All students considering transfer work should also confer with your advisor to ensure that the course will achieve the goal you intend.
  • GVSU requires that your final 30 credits toward your degree must be in residence at GVSU. You should not plan to transfer credits within that last 30 credits. If your situation requires special consideration you can submit a Request for Residency Waiver - PRIOR to taking classes outside of GVSU within the last 30 credits. 
  • GVSU requires that 58 credits of your 120 credit degree be completed from a senior (or 4-year) institution. This requirement is never waived. 


Michigan Guest Student Application

If you will be attending another Michigan institution for the purposes of taking a course or two to transfer back to GVSU you should complete the Michigan Uniform Undergraduate Admission Application. You will complete Part I and submit the form to the GVSU records office for completion of Part II. You can then turn in the form to the admissions office of your intended school.

To have the course work applied to your GVSU record, you should send an official transcript to GVSU Records, 1 West Campus Drive, 150 STU, Allendale, MI 49401 upon completion of the course.

Page last modified March 4, 2016