Useful Links for Academic Writers
Information about the writing thesis and dissertations
GVSU guidelines for writing a thesis or dissertation
College of Education Master's Capstone
Applying to Graduate Programs
Information about the Academic Publication Process
Mount Mercy's Website--Scholarly Publishing: Books, Journals, and Conferences
- Comprehensive website that links to publication outlets by discipline, as well as articles about how to navigate the academic publication process.
Proposals: Book, Dissertation, & Grant
- Supports grant proposal writers through workshops, quality circles, and other programming. Also provides travel grants, research grants, information on ethical research, and much more.
Purdue's OWL: "Academic Book Proposals"
- A good introduction to writing book proposals; includes references to multiple books/articles you might want to read further along the way.
University of Texas, Austin's website: "Sample Dissertation Proposals"
- A wide selection of dissertation proposals, grouped by disciplines.
University of California, Berkeley's website: "Dissertation Proposal Workshop"
- Comprehensive resource to help writers navigate the process of writing a dissertation proposal.
University of North Carolina's website: "Grant Proposals (or give me the money!)"
- An overview to writing successful grant proposals.
Academic Writing/Publishing Advice
Book Review: "Writing Your Journal Article in Twelve Weeks," Chronicle of Higher Education
Advice/Strategies: Faculty Writing Workshop, Inside Higher Education
- Links to a series of columns on a wide variety of writing issues, such as finding good readers for your work, proofreading and editing your writing, and making the time to write on a regular basis.
Advice/Strategies: Writers' Bootcamp Blog Posts, Chronicle of Higher Education
- Links to a series of columns on a wide variety of writing issues, such as working through writers' block finding time to write, and collaborative writing.
GVSU thesis and dissertation guidelines and forms
Advice: "Finishing the Dissertation," Chronicle of Higher Education
Advice: "It's a Dissertation, Not a Book," Chronicle of Higher Education
Benefits of Writing Groups--and How to Facilitate Them
"Get Together to Write," Academe
"New Faculty Writing Groups," Chronicle of Higher Education
"Online Writing Groups (dissertators & new faculty),"Chronicle of Higher Education
"Starting a Dissertation Writing Group (In a Writing Center)," Chronicle of Higher Education
GVSU Library's citation help, including links to citation managers
Purdue OWL - APA
Purdue OWL - MLA
GVSU Library Guides: Citing Sources (includes help with many styles of documentation)
GVSU Resources that Support Research, Scholarship, and Creative Work through Grants & Programming
Page last modified October 7, 2015