The SWS Committee welcomes comments on the following goals for the SWS Program:
- To encourage critical thinking, exploration of values, and self-discovery in courses across the curriculum.
- To emphasize the importance of "writing as process" and "writing to learn."
- To ensure students encounter instruction in writing beyond the first year writing class.
- To ensure students practice writing at all levels of the curriculum.
- To demonstrate to students the ways in which writing is integral to all disciplines, essential to the learning and conveying of knowledge in all fields.
- To support faculty in their efforts to develop writing assignments and instructional practices consistent with what we know about the writing process.
- To help faculty develop writing-intensive courses by reviewing course goals and syllabi.
- To provide faculty with models of proven and effective writing theory and pedagogy.
- To encourage faculty to incorporate revision as an essential part of writing assignments and instruction.
- To help faculty and administrators develop and assess curricula that support disciplinary writing.