Non-GVSU programs are study abroad programs which are sponsored by another university or a study abroad organization. GVSU students are welcome to participate in these types of programs. Over 50% of GVSU students who study abroad choose to do a Non-GVSU program.
Apply through OASIS
PLEASE NOTE: Students must apply to a Non-GVSU program through the OASIS system. This is a VERY IMPORTANT step that will allow students to access their financial aid and receive credit for the courses they take on a Non-GVSU program.
Find a Non-GVSU Program
A Study Abroad Adviser can help you find a Non-GVSU program. Students are also welcome to use the below search engines to look for programs.
This is a comprehensive on-line directory for study abroad programs, language schools, internships, international volunteer positions, international teaching positions, universities, eco-travel and a whole lot more. Browse Programs
This is another directory that allows you to search for study abroad, internships abroad, teach abroad and volunteering abroad. You can sort by country and region when looking. Browse Programs
This is a study abroad search engine. It enables users to search by country or subject of study as well as language of instruction. Browse Programs
About Non-GVSU Programs
All study abroad programs must be approved by the Padnos International Center prior to student participation in the program. This is to ensure that academic credits earned through another institution will be recognized by GVSU upon completion of the program.
All programs must meet one of the following criteria:
1. It must be sponsored by a U.S. regionally accredited college or university.
2. It must be sponsored by a non-U.S. college or university that is recognized by the official higher education organization/Ministry of Education in the host country.
3. It must be sponsored by an organization, or a part of a consortium, that is accredited or recognized by the Ministry of Education.
4. The credits taken at the non-U.S. institution, which is not part of the official higher education system in that country, will be accepted for transfer credit at GVSU with PIC, and faculty or Unit Head approval
If the program does not satisfy one of the above criteria it will not be approved. If you are not sure if a program meets the criteria or you cannot find information to confirm its approval status, please contact the Padnos International Center for assistance.
- 50% of GVSU students that study abroad go through a Non-GVSU program
- Students will maintain GVSU student status
- Students will have access to their GVSU financial aid
- Students will have access to advising, support and services through the Padnos International Center
- Students will earn credits toward their GVSU degree
- There is no double-tuition. Students will not be required to pay tuition to GVSU for the credits earned through your host university, provided your host university issues a transcript upon completion of your program. The process for transferring credit is similar to what students would experience after taking courses at a community college.
Students are welcome to contact a Study Abroad Adviser for questions regarding Non-GVSU program. Advisers are happy to offer advising, support and services for students participating in a Non-GVSU program.
Non-GVSU Affiliate Providers
Below are some Non-GVSU program options which GVSU has formal partnership agreements with. These providers offer scholarships and discounts to GVSU students. GVSU students also benefit from our familiarity with, and confidence in these affiliate programs.
Keep in mind, you are NOT limited to these programs.
Direct Enrollment Option
Direct enrollment reflects non-GVSU study abroad opportunities where students work directly with a host institution/University in another country to earn academic credit instead of applying through a study abroad provider. The direct enrollment option gives you access to a wider range of institutions who offer academics that meet your personal and professional interests. Students who are highly organized and willing to complete extra paperwork on their own can save a lot of money.
See the Direct Enrollment Guide for more information.
Volunteer Abroad Option
Volunteering abroad gives you the opportunity to serve international communities in need. The majority of these programs occur over the summer and are non-credit bearing. Keep in mind that if you choose to participate in an academic study abroad, volunteering may still be an option though your program sponsor or host institution.
If you choose to participate in a program that organizes volunteer opportunities abroad, please understand that you will be doing so independent of GVSU.
See the Volunteer abroad guide for more information.