Bachelors of Science in Physics
Completion of a major in physics requires the following:
- General university degree requirements as identified in the General Academic Policies section of the catalog.
- Thirty-nine semester credit hours of required physics courses with a minimum grade of C (2.0) in each course. Transfer students must complete at least 11 credit hours in physics courses at Grand Valley at the 300 level or above.
- PHY 230 Principles of Physics I*
- PHY 231 Principles of Physics II
- PHY 302 Introduction to Modern Physics
- PHY 309 Experimental Methods in Physics
- PHY 311 Advanced Laboratory II
- PHY 330 Intermediate Mechanics
- PHY 340 Electromagnetic Fields
- PHY 350 Intermediate Modern Physics
- PHY 360 Thermodynamics
- PHY 485 Senior Physics Project I**
- PHY 486 Senior Physics Project II**
- Thirty-six semester credit hours of required cognate courses with a minimum grade of C (2.0) in each course.
- CHM 115 Principles of Chemistry I
- CHM 116 Principles of Chemistry II
- CS 162 Computer Science I
- MTH 201 Calculus I
- MTH 202 Calculus II*
- MTH 203 Calculus III
- MTH 227 Linear Algebra
- MTH 300 Applied Analysis I
- MTH 304 Analysis of Differential Equations, or
- MTH 302 Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
*Completion of MTH 201, MTH 202, and PHY 230 satisfies the B.S. degree cognate for the Physics major.
Consult the official Undergraduate Catalog for details.
Transfer students should consult the Course Equivalency Guide and/or speak with an advisor or the Chair of the Physics Department.