Dr. Dirk Pandel
Assistant Professor of Physics
Department of Physics
- Ph.D. University of California, Santa Barbara (2004)
- M.S. University of California, Irvine (1998)
- B.S., Humboldt University, Berlin (1996)
- Assistant Professor of Physics, Grand Valley State University, Aug. 2014 - Present.
- Visiting Professor of Physics, Grand Valley State University, 2010 - 2014.
- Postdoctoral Research Scholar, The University of Iowa, 2006-2009.
- Research and Teaching Assistant, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1998-2005.
- PHY 105: Astronomy
- PHY 220/221: General Physics I & II
- PHY 230/231: Principles of Physics I & II
My research is in the area of observational high-energy astrophysics. I use satellite-borne and ground-based instruments for the detection of X-rays and gamma rays to study black holes, neutron stars, white dwarfs, and other extreme objects in the universe.
- D. Pandel, R. Scott, Multi-wavelength Studies of the Gamma-ray Pulsar PSR J1907+0602, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1505, 329-332 (2012).
- D. Pandel, P. Kaaret, S. Corbel, Relativistic Iron Line Emission from the Neutron Star Low-mass X-Ray Binary 4U 1636-536, Astrophysical Journal, 688, 1288-1294 (2008).
- D. Pandel, F. Córdova, K. Mason, W. Priedhorsky, X-ray Observations of the Boundary Layer in Dwarf Novae at Low Accretion Rates, Astrophysical Journal, 626, 396-410 (2005).
- D. Pandel, F. Córdova, Irregular Mass Transfer in the Polars VV Pup and V393 Pav during the Low State, Astrophysical Journal, 620, 416-421 (2005).
- D. Pandel, F. Córdova, S. Howell, X-ray and Ultraviolet Observations of the Dwarf Nova VW Hyi in Quiescence, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 346, 1231-1241 (2003).
- D. Pandel, F. Córdova, XMM-Newton Observes Flaring in the Polar UZ For during a Low State, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 336, 1049-1055 (2002).
- D. Pandel, F. Córdova, R. Shirey, G. Ramsay, M. Cropper, K. Mason, R. Much, D. Kilkenny, First XMM-Newton observations of strongly magnetic cataclysmic variables - II. Timing studies of DP Leo and WW Horâ, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society332, 116-126 (2002).
- Referee for the Astrophysical Journal.
- Peer reviewer for Chandra, Swift, and Fermi Guest Investigator Programs.
- Professional Affiliations: American Astronomical Society.