Tom and Marcia Haas and Family Laker Marching Band Scholarship
Thomas J. Haas was appointed by the Board of Trustees in July 2006 as the university's fourth president. He came to West Michigan following 30 years in public service, including careers in the U.S. Coast Guard and higher education. Haas holds a doctorate in chemistry from the University of Connecticut, two master's degrees from the University of Michigan, and another from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. He is a 1973 honors graduate of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy and served two years on the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Acacia in Port Huron. His ties to West Michigan were sealed by marriage to Marcia (Knapp) Haas, a graduate of Albion College who is a devoted wife and leader in our community and to their three children, and three grandchildren.
To express their appreciation and love of music by supporting students in the Grand Valley State University Laker Marching Band. President Haas enjoyed playing the drums in the marching band during high school and continued through his first year in the Coast Guard. Mrs. Marcia Haas also planted her marching band roots in high school to use her gifts and explore a variety of musical instruments. Their scholarship will reward musical achievement and assist students in the Laker Marching Band who excel academically and demonstrate leadership in band and other campus or community activities.
1. Recipients for this scholarship shall have been accepted for or are currently enrolled at Grand Valley State University.
2. They must be a current member of the Laker Marching Band.
3. They must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate Junior or Senior.
4. They must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or greater on a 4.0 scale
5. They must demonstrate financial need by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
1. Candidates must complete a "Tom and Marcia Haas and Family Laker Marching Band Scholarship" Application.
Click Here to download application.
2. Candidates must complete forms provided by the Grand Valley State University Financial Aid Office.
Click Here to access the GVSU FAFSA information page.
3. Applications are due by April 15th to the respective offices.
The director of the Grand Valley State University Laker Marching Band in collaboration with the Financial Aid Office of Grand Valley State University will choose the recipients. The announcement of scholarship recipients will be made on June 1st.
Scholarships will be awarded annually provided there are candidates who meet the qualification criteria. Award amounts and numbers of scholarships will be determined by funds available and renewing recipients.
This scholarship may be renewed without reapplication provided the recipient continues to meet the qualifications stated herein. This scholarship may be awarded to an individual recipient for a maximum of four consecutive fall semesters. The Grand Valley State University Laker Marching Band and the Financial Aid Office will monitor the recipients’ progress and scholastic achievement relative to renewal of this scholarship.
Page last modified September 2, 2013