Mission and Vision
The mission of the Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center is to educate, support and empower students to lead authentic lives, to challenge systems of gender and sexuality, and to work for social justice.
The Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center strives to create an inclusive and just environment where the many expressions of gender and sexuality are celebrated. We will support and challenge all students on their developmental journey by creating an expansive space for students to understand and determine their own experiences within the context of the systems of sexuality and gender as well as within the context of other overlapping systems like race, class and ability. Our students will be dynamic leaders in the social justice community who demonstrate solidarity by working with all marginalized communities for collective liberation.
Points of Unity
- We believe in grassroots, participatory democracy as a group and will use consensus as a model for both learning and decision-making.
- We are opposed to oppression in all its forms: racism, sexism, ageism, ableism, homophobia/biphobia/transphobia, religious intolerance, etc.
- We are opposed to violence, both personal and institutional.
- We believe that the current economic system does not serve the interests of the majority of people and that economic justice must be part of all our social justice work for the future.
- We believe in ecological integrity, environmental justice and the urgent need for humanity to prevent catastrophe from global warming.
- We are committed to creating more dialogue and collaboration between social justice sectors and practicing the intersectionality of all social justice efforts in West Michigan.
- We are committed to understanding how state, national and international policies impact the social justice work being done at the local level.
- We are committed to the transformation of relationships with one another.
- We are committed to systemic change.