The LGBT FSA serves to improve the climate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender faculty and staff members of the Grand Valley State University community through examination of current policies and practices and through the initiation and promotion of programs which will result in a more equitable and supportive environment.
Former steering committee members
The LGBT FSA goals are as follows:
- To encourage and promote scholarship, research and teaching that addresses questions relevant to LGBT persons and to all members of the university across disciplines concerned with understanding the role of sexual orientation in culture and society.
- To help faculty across the university develop pedagogical approaches that are sensitive to the sexual diversity present both in our classrooms and in the larger community that will be served by the undergraduates and graduates we are preparing for professional service.
- To help faculty and staff across the university understand and model behaviors that contribute to making GVSU a productive learning and working environment for gay and lesbian employees and students.
- To foster retention of LGBT faculty and staff.
- In the spirit of the university's desire to establish a diverse community, the Association shall seek to provide support and guidance for the University regarding issues that affect the well being of LGBT employees of the University.
Current initiatives include:
- Establishment of the LGBT lending library in the LGBT Resource Center
- Promotion of LGBT University Endowment Fund
- Promotion of information on household member benefits enrollment
- Establishment of the LGBT FSA grant through CSCE
- Development of more social opportunities for the membership
- Partnership with FTLC to promote seminars related to LGBT issues in the classroom
- Further development of the new faculty/staff mentoring Program
Page last modified September 3, 2014