Residents permanently vacating their room at any time during the year are expected to checkout properly. The checkout procedure varies by situation, but all resident vacating a space on campus are required to do the following:
- Schedule a meeting time with your Resident Assistant to check out of your unit, unless completing an express checkout.
- Turn in all university issued keys and laundry/entrance cards. Lock all doors and windows.
- Remove all belongings and sufficiently clean the room or apartment, including cleaning the adjacent bathroom in suite-style units and kitchens and bathrooms in apartment-style units.
- Complete the Housing Checklist provided by a staff member.
- Arrange and assemble all university-provided furniture as it was found upon move-in.
- See the cancellation policy if checking out due to cancellation.
- Housing Services reserves the right to determine whether a room or apartment is sufficiently clean.
Additionally, all residents are advised that:
- Failure to checkout properly and on time may result in an improper checkout fee of $25.00.
- All residents are jointly responsible for the care, cleanliness, and protection of the common areas of their suite or apartment. When damages occur inside a room or apartment and Housing does not know who caused them, charges may be split among the residents of that unit.
- All billing decisions regarding room condition and damages can be appealed within 30 days of notification. All appeal decisions are final.
- Resident’s private property remaining after vacating or upon the expiration of the Housing Agreement will be considered abandoned and will be disposed of after 30 days.
- Residents must go into the MyHousing preferences to change their address for mail forwarding purposes.
- Any resident that does not check out and fails to vacate the premises will be billed $75.00 for failing to leave and $22.00 per day. Change at new fiscal year to $30.00.
Express Checkout — Available 24 Hours/Day, 7 Days/Week
- Residents choosing this option forgo the right to be present during the inspection of their room.
- Your room should be clean and in the same condition as when you moved in. All doors and windows must be locked.
- Obtain an Express Checkout envelope from your front desk.
- Place your laundry/entrance card and/or key to your unit in the envelope, fill out the front information, and return to your front desk.
- A Housing staff member will inspect your unit and note any applicable damages charges, including cleaning charges. If necessary, a damage billing letter will be sent to your permanent address.
- Any resident completing an express checkout, cannot appeal damage charges.
- All resident’s choosing to do express checkout waives their right to dispute any damage or cleaning charges.
Stove (Oven Broiler)
- The electric stove contains two/four top burners, an oven, and a broiler. Maintain the stove by wiping up spills as they occur and with complete periodic cleanings. Clean the stove thoroughly using a general purpose cleaner, degreaser, and oven cleaner. Do not line stove-top cupboards or walls with aluminum foil. Covering stove top cupboards or walls with aluminum foil or any other material is a potential fire hazard and expressly prohibited.
- A solution of baking soda and warm water will remove odors and aid in cleaning of the inside of the refrigerator.
- The freezer compartment is self-defrosting on large refrigerators. If the refrigerator does not cool efficiently, contact Facilities Customer Service at (616) 331-3000.
Cupboard and Countertops
- Do not use adhesive-coated or self-stick products to line the cabinets. (Charges will be incurred if adhesive-coated products are used and cause permanent damage to the cabinets.) Using a general purpose cleaner, degreaser, or a water and bleach solution, wipe all shelves, drawers, and cabinets inside and outside periodically. Use a non-abrasive cleaner on the countertops (bleach and water solution helps remove stains.) Store foods in airtight containers to help avoid insects and rodents.
Sink, Tub, and Shower
- Clean the walls of the shower and tub as well as the surrounding areas with a non-abrasive cleaner to remove soap residue. Remember to clean the metal fixtures under the sink and toilet. A small brush and cleaner will remove mildew around the tub and other damp areas. A shower curtain must be used at all times when the shower is in use. The size of the shower curtain varies with the style of apartment.
- Thoroughly clean the toilet with disinfectant both inside and outside including the toilet seat and bowl. Clean the outside of the tank and lid. If any part of the toilet appears loose or moves at the floor, contact Facilities Customer Service to place a work order.
- Clean the wall using tub and tile cleaner. The tile grout or calking can be cleaned by using a mild solution of water and bleach and soft bristle brush.
Phone (616) 331-2120 • firstname.lastname@example.org