National Pan-Hellenic Council
The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) at Grand Valley State University is currently composed of eight out of the nine of the International Greek letter Sororities and Fraternities within The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc.
NPHC promotes interaction through forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of information and engages in cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities and functions. On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the Council. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997.
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations. Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.
1906 Cornell University - Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
1908 Howard University - Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
1911 Indiana University - Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
1911 Howard University - Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
1913 Howard University - Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
1914 Howard University - Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
1920 Howard University - Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
1922 Butler University - Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.
1963 Morgan State University - Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.