Skip to main content

Welcome to Experience Matters!

A collection of internship and co-op experiences completed by Grand Valley students.


Grand Valley students are doing amazing things through professional experiences outside the classroom. This site gives viewers an inside look at these experiences. See some spotlighted experiences below, or click on View Experiences above to find more!

Experience Matters

Gathering Pieces of Local History

Gathering Pieces of Local History

Emily
Major: Anthropology My primary project was to build and collect resources for a historical database. The purpose of the database is to provide a centralized, digital location for storing and organizing historical articles, documents, and pictures about the history of the parks lands and Ottawa County. It now has over 450 items in it, which means that anybody in the Parks Department can look in the database for a particular park, open space (a mostly undeveloped park), or greenway, and find specific historical information about it. Many of the tasks that I completed involved researching and obtaining historical documents and information about the parks. I visited libraries, searched the Parks Department files, called and e-mailed local historians, and visited people who had books or pictures.

Read More

Spartan Fund Internship

Spartan Fund Internship

Chris
Major: Sports Leadership I was responsible for donor prospect research, reaching out and thanking donors, answering phone calls, updating personal information, and helping out in any other way that the team needed. My three months here were a very busy time for us because we run on a fiscal year from July 1st - June 30th. I also did a lot of administrative work to help keep our office from falling behind. This work included folding thank you letters, stuffing envelopes, creating new donor packets, scanning in pledge forms, and doing mail runs.

Read More

Co-op at Corvac Comp

Co-op at Corvac Comp

Abby
Major: Engineering - Product Design and Manufacturing I had a few major projects throughout the summer as well as small tasks. My main projects were; (1) Record cycle times of the top 80% of parts based on quantity shipped in order to get a base line standard. Also involved with this project was timing change over times to get a base line for those as well. (2) Layout proposal for the redesign of a cell. The purpose of the redesign was to see how the addition of another trim machine would affect the cycle time of that part. (3) Running samples of different sheet where regrind material was replaced with reproduced material to see how the different material affects quality of the finished part.

Read More