Grand Valley students are doing amazing things through professional experiences outside the classroom. This site gives viewers an inside look at these experiences. See some spotlighted experiences below, or click on View Experiences above to find more!
Major: Anthropology My primary project was to build and collect resources for a historical database. The purpose of the database is to provide a centralized, digital location for storing and organizing historical articles, documents, and pictures about the history of the parks lands and Ottawa County. It now has over 450 items in it, which means that anybody in the Parks Department can look in the database for a particular park, open space (a mostly undeveloped park), or greenway, and find specific historical information about it. Many of the tasks that I completed involved researching and obtaining historical documents and information about the parks. I visited libraries, searched the Parks Department files, called and e-mailed local historians, and visited people who had books or pictures.
Major: Engineering - Product Design and Manufacturing This co-op term, I worked offsite as a Product Launch Coordinator for a Tier 1 automotive supplier. I was in charge of line layout, inventory, training new employees, getting our orders built on time, and shipping and receiving. I also worked at a high tech manufacturing facility as a Quality Technician for the pilot line. There, I was in charge of collecting data so that we could show the capability of our machines and processes.
Major: Engineering- Interdisciplinary As a co-op student, I was placed on projects that were related to my interest. Due to the diverse make-up of the company in terms to technical and design focuses, I was exposed to a multitude of projects. My work was generally done alone, interfacing with teammates when necessary. I focused in large parts on a testing system for the user interface of a product we were working on for a customer. There was consistent correspondence with the customer as we worked together to identify bugs within the system, pinpoint their causes, and adjust the code to fix them. This was a nice project to work on in that it was nearly instant gratification. When we were able to pinpoint an error in the code, fixing the bug generally didnýt take long and the device firmware was quickly updated. One of the more fun projects I completed required me to do a physical build of an office productivity unit; this hands-on project was an incredible change of pace from the research that I was so often assigned and was a great opportunity for me to express my creativity in the prototyping process and iterative stages of the design. Additional projects included an analytical demo project working to develop the companyýs technological resources for future projects, product benchmarking,