94% of graduating students would recommend the exercise science program to a prospective student
The B.S. Exercise Science major is designed to help students gain a comprehensive understanding of how and why the human body responds to a single bout or regular bouts of physical activity or exercise.
The main foundations of exercise science are biomechanics, physiology, and psychology, and the program here at GVSU offers emphasis areas in Clinical Exercise Science and also Health Fitness Instruction.
Studying exercise science prepares students for careers in a wide range of employment areas ranging from clinical-focused jobs like an exercise physiologist working with cardiac rehabilitation patients in a hospital to a strength and conditioning coach working with professional or Olympic athletes. Exercise science is also a gateway degree to many exciting and worthwhile graduate and professional degree programs.
Please browse all the links and pages to find out more about the program, and our students and faculty.
Quick Program Facts:
- 1,050 undergraduate students
- 12 full-time teaching faculty
- GPA increases from 3.04 at end of Freshman year to 3.21 at time of graduation
- 96% of students feel the program is intellectually challenging and stimulating
- 90% of graduating students agree or strongly agree that faculty are interested in their professional development
- 74% of students complete an exercise science related professional certification
- 72% of graduating students either gain immediate employment or start graduate/professional programs
Page last modified September 22, 2014