TRiO Educational Talent Search
Services & Eligibility
Project services include (serving Kent and Ottawa counties):
- Available by appointment: Career and academic advising- call office to schedule 616.331.7110
- Assistance with admissions and financial aid applications, and scholarship information
- Application fee waivers to schools, GED, and ACT tests (MUST be income-eligible)
- Administration and evaluation of career interest inventories
- College visits and campus tours, cultural event field trips
- Referrals to other agencies/programs
- Tutoring for middle school students at target schools only
- Referrals to GED completion programs
- Tutor referral
- Referral to financial literacy programs
- College prep awareness activities
Educational Talent Search can serve persons who are:
- Low-income and/or;
- First-generation college students (custodial parent[s] did not graduate from a 4-year college or university)
- Interested in attending or returning to a 4-year college or university.
- in target schools (Priority Given)
- U.S. citizen or permanent residency status legal.
- Completed the 5th grade or at least 11 years of age
- Have college potential (recommended 2.0 GPA) or other assessment tool -- Grade reports, test scores, attendance records, counselor recommendations may be requested.
- Ask an ETS advisor or ETS office for an application if you attend a target school.
- Return a completed application to your school office, ETS advisor or ETS office.
- You will be contacted by your ETS advisor regarding your status. If you have completed your application and do not know your status, please call our office at 331-7110.
- Students at target schools who are low-income and first generation in grades 6th-12th are given first priority into the program. Others will be considered if the program is not filled to capacity.
Target Schools Include:
- Burton Middle
- Riverside Middle
- Westwood Middle
- Wyominh Junior High
- Innovations Central High
- Grand Rapids Montessori
- Ottawa Hills High
- Union High
- Godwin Heights High
- Wyoming High
Page last modified April 15, 2014