To be eligible to receive a Michigan Provisional Teaching Certificate, you must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of degree requirements and teaching major, minor, and education major/professional program requirements.
- GPA of 2.7 overall and in the major, minor, and education major program. Currently, these content area majors require a 3.0 GPA: Art Education, Language Arts, English (major and minor).
- Grades of B- or better and positive recommendations in professional fieldwork courses, EDF 310, and EDR 320 or EDR 321, EDT 370, EDS 378 or EDS 379 (elementary and secondary general education students only), and EDF 485.
- Passing scores on Michigan Subject Area Tests.
• Elementary candidates must pass the Elementary Test. If an elementary candidate passes the subject area test in an academic major area or special education endorsement area, these will be added to the teaching certificate.
• Secondary candidates must pass subject area tests in both the teaching major and minor.
- Current certification of CPR (Adult/Child) Instruction and First Aid (Standard or Basic). Click here for approved providers.
- If your criminal background information has changed since you originally applied for admission to the College of Education, contact the Associate Director of the Student Information and Services Center (SISC) to confirm the change(s) are on file in SISC.
- All Michigan teachers seeking teaching certification of any kind must register with MOECS in order to receive their certificate. Grand Valley State University will no longer be accepting paper applications for certification. Detailed information on registering can be see on our MOECS information page.