Advising Services in the College of Community and Public Service
Here are just some of the ways the staff in the CCPS-UAC can help you achieve your degree goals:
- Degree Planning. Academic Advisors help students make informed choices about degree and graduation requirements. They can help clarify curriculum, course content, and optimal course sequences. Advisors will also enhance student awareness of diverse educational experiences to further enrich the academic plan.
- Goal Setting. Academic Advisors can assist students with the clarification of career and life goals; development of decision-making skills; reinforcement of self-direction; and evaluation of student progress toward established goals.
- Outreach & Support. Academic Advisors can assist students with academic support needs through individual sessions, group workshops, and connections with educational resources across the university.
- Policies & Procedures. Students are responsible for their role in the academic process and navigating the university system. Academic Advisors can help clarify university policies and procedures to enhance the student’s ability to participate in the academic process.
- Referrals. Academic Advisors can refer students to faculty mentors, other campus services and student success resources.
Mission, Vision and Values
CCPS Undergraduate Advising Center Mission
Undergraduate academic advising within the College of Community and Public Service (CCPS) is a collaborative partnership between students, faculty, and staff committed to developing meaningful educational plans aligned with students' values, goals, and interests. We engage students as active participants in their educational experience and empower them to successfully navigate the university in pursuit of their personal, academic and professional goals.
CCPS Undergraduate Advising Center Values & Vision
- we strive to create and sustain relationships with students, faculty, and staff built on mutual respect, understanding, and acceptance that each person has unique backgrounds, abilities, values, and goals.
- We strive to honor each student’s story and appreciate that the educational process is a personal journey. As part of that process, we are committed to listening to and meeting students where they are and assisting with the development of educational plans
- We strive to challenge students to take risks and engage in different types of learning opportunities and to support them in making meaning of the connections between their educational experiences, in and out of the classroom.
- We strive to connect students with colleagues within our college, the university, and the greater community who have the experience & expertise to provide relevant information, guidance and support as they pursue their educational goals
- we strive to help students find the value, purpose, and potential of higher education by viewing their curriculum as a whole to understand how university and major requirements prepare them to participate in the world.
- We strive to empower students to accept personal responsibility for the pursuit of their educational and career goals.
- we strive to bring awareness to and assist students in the navigation of policies, procedures, and requirements
- Inquiry & Innovation:
- we strive to develop and employ creative problem solving strategies
- We strive to be a leader in our profession by engaging in professional enrichment opportunities; supporting active learning through publications, presentations, and involvement in professional organizations; and utilizing best practices to advance our programs and services
- We strive to be strong advocates and mediators while also being conscientious institutional representatives
- We strive to represent the university in an ethical way adhering to the institution's policies, procedures, and interpretation of applicable laws