Grand Valley State University Women's Center
Activate is a GVSU Women’s Center program that provides service learning opportunities on campus and in the community. Supporting the Women’s Center mission of gender justice, Activate members engage in a number of ways:
Activate... the Women's Center
Utilize your skills and talents to support the Women’s Center. Examples include:
- Staffing a Women’s Center event
- Being a member of the Women’s Center social media committee
- Transporting items from our YWCA donation bin to the YWCA in Grand Rapids
- Assisting with Student Food Pantry donations
Represent the Women’s Center around campus. As an Activate member, this may include:
- Tabling on behalf of the Women’s Center at events
- Writing a guest blog post for GVSU Feminist Voices
- Applying to be a Women’s Center Ambassador *Year-long commitment
Engage with the community through opportunities such as:
- Days of Service: Great for those of you with tight schedules, these one-time day-long service projects allow you to engage with one of our many community partners on a short-term basis. We provide the transportation!
- Agency Placements: With over 15 partner agencies, we can facilitate a semester (or longer) service placement in the community. See the back of this sheet for a full list of organizations. *Semester-long commitment
- Other community engagement opportunities are regularly posted throughout the year on Blackboard
How Do I Get Involved?
1. Register & complete orientation training online. The training takes about an hour to complete. After you hit "submit" on the registration form, you will receive an e-mail with a direct link to the online training through the Activate Blackboard group.
2. Sign up for opportunities through Blackboard
Once you have completed the online training, you will have access to sign up for opportunities on the Activate Blackboard site. All service opportunities are posted here; sign-up is on a first come, first serve basis.
Most opportunities are posted at the beginning of the semester; it’s best to complete orientation ASAP.
3. Interested in Agency Placements? An additional one-on-one meeting is required to discuss your interests.
These meetings will be scheduled AFTER you complete orientation.
Have additional questions or concerns? Contact:
Sharalle Arnold, Associate Director
If you are interested in working with the Women's Center Activate program as a partner agency, please contact us by calling 331-2748 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Who can participate in Activate?
A. Activate is open to GVSU students, faculty, and staff
Q. How many hours per week will I have to commit to?
A. It's up to you! You determine what opportunities you want to sign up for and how much time you want to give. Some students may sign-up for one event the entire year while others may commit to 5-10 hours a week. Most semester long volunteer opportunities are very flexible and will require a one to two-hour commitment per week for the student.
Q. Will I have to attend weekly meetings?
A. No, Activate is facilitated online through Blackboard. All Activate members are required to complete the online training before signing up for opportunities. If you're interested in an Agency Placement, an additional one-on-one meeting is required. All Activate opportunities are posted online through Blackboard.
Q. Can I join Activate as part of a class assignment?
A. Yes! We work with professors in many majors to find opportunities that will fulfill your classroom requirement.
Q. Once I have started, do I need to document my hours?
A. Yes, all volunteers are asked to log their hours through GVSU's Service Tracker.
Q. If I joined Activate last year, do I need to complete the online training or register again this year to continue being involved?
A. No, once you have registered and completed the online training, you are considered an Activate member for the duration of your time as a student. You will only be removed from the Activate Blackboard group if you graduate or ask to be removed.
We invite you to check out our Annual Report to see detailed outcomes about Activate:
Activate 2014-2015 Annual Report
Page last modified August 20, 2015