Graduate Student Services
We're here to assist you with any writing project, at any stage of your writing process. The center's well-trained peer consultants can help you to brainstorm ideas, organize content, integrate research, polish a draft, and correctly document sources.
Any graduate or undergraduate GVSU student can make an appointment or take advantage of our drop-in hours simply by coming into the center with a draft of your writing. If you experience problems scheduling appointments, try using a different web browser. Internet Explorer has been causing problems with scheduling this semester and switching to Safari, Firefox, or Chrome, might help solve the problem. Faculty and staff interested in writing consultations for their own work and our other services can call 331-2922.
The Writing Center is open for regular hours at the following times and locations:
Ways We Can Help
Want to feel prepared for a consultation?
Click HERE for information about what to expect at a consultation
If you have any questions related to:
- Language Support (ESL, MLW, L2, etc.) - Visit Language Support
- Disability Services
- Athletics Collaboration
- Professor Recommendation
Do not hesitate to call us at 616-331-2922 or come in and visit us at LOH 120 during our business hours
Writing Consultants can help you on the spot!
They are trained to work with you face-to-face during any stage of the writing process. To work with a consultant one-on-one, here are your options:
- Drop-In Hours: meet with a consultant during our available hours at any of our locations. See Hours & Locations for more information.
If you want more information about consultations, visit us at What To Expect At A Session.
Read Ahead Appointments
For students working on longer drafts, submitting your paper ahead of time allows more time for feedback and discussion. Available only at our downtown location (DeVos student study area Building C) you can sign up for this service by scheduling online. When selecting your location, choose "Graduate Read Ahead Downtown" and you will be prompted to upload your current draft. We require 48 hours reading time before appointments.
- By Appointment: feel free to schedule an appointment ahead of time. Go here to schedule an appointment. Graduate students are allowed to schedule 30 or 50 minute long appointments.
Though the Writing Center values human face-to-face communication, we do recognize that there are other ways we can help writers. The Writing Center, therefore, maintains a virtual presence for writers everywhere. Use the Writing Center online by:
- Google Docs: check out our online option through Google Docs! For more information, see Online Services.
- Email: check out our email option through our Writing Center account! For more information, see Email Consultations.
Handouts & Other Resources:
- Video Tutorials
- Helpful Handouts
- Thesis and Dissertation Information
- Guidelines for Preparation of the Master's Thesis
- Other Helpful Links & Resources
Have other questions? Stop in and visit! Or call us at 331-2922.