Graphic Design - Facilities
These facilities allow design students to gain expertise in digital typography, letterpress production, photo manipulation, vector-based art, and design for web environments. A separate, lab classroom offers space for group projects and fosters dialogue between graphic design students.
The Graphic Design classroom is a multi-use space for lecturing, demonstrations, letterpress printing, and student meetings. Moreover, the Department of Visual and Media Arts offers three computer labs for student activities and classes. The labs are equipped with 21-inch iMac computers, color and black and white printers, and flatbed scanners.
These facilities allow students to become proficient in industry-standard equipment and software. They serve as learning tools but also as areas open for student work and project development.
- 3 Apple computer labs with Xerox printers and flatbed scanners (color and black & white)
- 2 Apple laptop carts (with 12 and 15 Macbook Pros each)
- 1 Epson Expression 10000XL Scanner
- 2 Canon T6i Digital Cameras
- Photographic lighting equipment
- Movable photographic seamless paper backgrounds
Graphic Design students also have access to the following department-wide equipment:
- The Digital Print Shop (DPS) is a student-operated business in the Calder Art Center. Since 2008, it has been a valuable resource for students and faculty looking for high-quality, cost-efficient prints of class assignments, personal projects, vinyl stickers and limited-run posters. For more information on the Digital Print Shop, including costs and policies, please refer to the DPS website.
- The Digital Fabrication Lab is a resource for students and faculty looking for digital fabrication equipment. The lab is equipped with various 3D Printers, a 3D Scanner and a Laser Cutting Machine.
- Wacom Cintiq tablets available for student checkout.
These facilities allow students to explore more traditional processes of graphic design production. They serve as learning tools but also as areas open for student work and project development.
- VanderCook Press
- Proofing Press
- Extensive Collection of Metal Type
Graphic Design students may also request access to the following facilities:
- Print Shop
- Silkscreen Studio