Student Health Insurance
GVSU currently doesn't require domestic students to provide evidence that they're covered by health insurance. However, we strongly encourage all of our students to be insured.
Please be aware that the University's insurance programs do not cover injury or illness sustained by a student; even if the injury or illness is a result of an educational opportunity, a sponsored activity, or other incidents that occur either on or off campus. Please review your medical insurance coverage to ensure that it is both adequate for your needs, and applicable in the State of Michigan. If you are studying or working abroad, it is particularly important to ensure that your personal health insurance will respond in the territories where you are traveling.
If you aren't currently insured, or have inadequate coverage:
Students who permanently reside in the United States
GVSU has collaborated with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan through Relation Insurance to provide options for students' consideration on a voluntary basis. The plans are available to full- and part-time domestic students. Students can choose the PPO or HMO plan.
- For enrollment questions, please contact Relation at 1-800-537-1777. Blue Cross Blue Shield works with Relation for enrollment.
- To learn more, visit Relation's Insurance website. GVSU does not imply that this coverage is superior to other plans which may be available to you through the open marketplace, please consider all of your options carefully.
For other options including dental and vision, visit the GVSU private health insurance exchange.
- If you have questions about options in this exchange, please call 1-866-472-5385.
Please note: If you are a currently policy holder for Blue Cross Blue Shield, and have insurance eligibility questions, please call the customer care number on your insurance card.
Students who are not United States residents
Until August 14, 2019:
- Health insurance for International students is mandatory, and those students are automatically enrolled in a program through Relation Insurance, and managed by GVSU's Padnos International Center (PIC). Visit the Relation Insurance website for more information.
- If you have additional questions that can't be answered by Relation or their website, please contact Padnos International Center at 616.331.3898.
Change - effective August 15, 2019:
- Health Insurance for F-1 International students is strongly recommended but not required. J-1 students are required by Federal Law to be covered by health insurance.
- If you do not have a policy from your home country, you will be expected to enroll.
- Additional details will be covered during international student orientation.
- Questions about the insurance requirements may be directed to Padnos International Center at email@example.com.
If you don't find a product that fits your needs, or pricing that is attractive within the Relation or IX Solutions websites, we do encourage you to speak to your own Insurance Agent, and research available coverages elsewhere.
The products available through Relation and IX Solutions are voluntary. GVSU does not warrant the reliability, quality or effectiveness of any products or services offered, nor does it imply an endorsement of the views, information or products provided by these services. All transactions, communications and administration of the insurance products and services are strictly between the user and the service providers. GVSU does not benefit financially in any way from these insurance products.