What We're Working On
Accomplishments of 2016/2017
- Hosted GVSU's first ever Rock the Vote concert in the Fieldhouse Arena on September 30th!
- Open Access Week was October 24th - 28th and is an opportunity for the academic and research community to continue to learn about the potential benefits of Open Access, to share what they’ve learned with colleagues, and to help inspire wider participation in helping to make Open Access a new norm in scholarship and research
- Last Lecture hosted on November 17th with lectures given by Dr. Paul Cornish and Dr. David Leonard
- Battle of the Valleys was held between October 30th - November 4th with Grand Valley raising a total of $17,000 for the Laker Children's Fund
- Launched survivor-focused support group for victims/survivors of sexual assault!
- Hosted a police brutality panel titled "Thin Blue Line"
Accomplishments of 2015-2016
- Passed a resolution in support of transgender health care being provided in the GVSU health care plan
- Changed the holiday lights housing policy
- Registered over 100 students to vote
- Held our annual Last Lecture event, featuring Dean of Students Bart Merkle
- Changed the cultural and Greek life funding boards
- Passed a resolution in support of the creation of a human rights minor
- Helped to get lighting onto Pierce Street
- Continued to work diligently to have a fall break
- Passed a resolution in support of a new digital studies minor
- Created an active shooter program for students’ safety preparedness
- Sponsored the first annual Mental Health Awareness Week in collaboration with the Counseling Center
- Co-sponsored the third annual Teach-In with the University Academic Senate, drawing a record attendance of 1,500 participants
- Represented students on over 40 different university committees with faculty & staff