Section 7 Student Non-Academic Grievance Process
The grievance procedure may be used to resolve any student complaint except those that are covered by a specific University procedure (e.g. the University Conduct Process, the Student Academic Grievance Procedures, the Anti-Harassment Policy, Parking Services, etc.)
No disciplinary or other unfavorable action may be taken against any student or anyone who may represent a student using the grievance procedures.
A grievance is a student’s formal complaint concerning an incident, policy or condition within the institution. A student to grieve the actions of another student cannot use this process.
7.1 Filing a Grievance
- A student with a grievance or a complaint reports it to the Dean of Students Office. A designated staff member will be assigned as the Grievance Coordinator.
- The Grievance Coordinator will discuss the complaint with the student. Many concerns students may have regarding an incident, policy or condition within the institution can be resolved if the student first expresses a concern to the appropriate Unit Head of the area in which the concern arises. If the student has not already discussed the complaint with the appropriate Unit Head, the Grievance Coordinator will refer the student to the Unit Head as the first step in filing a grievance.
- If the grievance is not resolved by the Unit Head, the student will submit the grievance in writing to the Grievance Coordinator. The written grievance should contain a complete and specific account of the student’s complaint, including the names of the people involved, the date and the location of the incident or the condition complained of, any written evidence attached, and the remedy the student seeks.
7.2 Grievance Hearing
- The student may request that a grievance hearing be held before either the Grievance Coordinator or a grievance committee. (Note: the Grievance Coordinator may choose to bring the grievance before the grievance committee at any time.) The grievance committee will be comprised of the Grievance Coordinator, one faculty member from the pool of eligible Conduct Board members, and one student from the pool of eligible Conduct Board members. The grieving student must attend the grievance hearing.
- The Grievance Coordinator will investigate the student’s complaint by gathering information from the involved people named by the student as well as from others as necessary. The Grievance Coordinator may ask those named to respond to the student’s complaint in writing.
- If a grievance committee hearing is held, the Grievance Coordinator will chair the hearing. Information gathered during the investigation by the Grievance Coordinator will be presented. Any involved party may be called in to respond to the student’s complaint during the grievance hearing.
- The Grievance Coordinator or grievance committee will make recommendations based on information presented at the hearing in an effort to resolve the grievance. The student will be notified of the recommendations, typically within five days of the hearing.
- If the student is not satisfied with the recommendations of the Coordinator/ committee, the student may file a written appeal to the Dean of Students within two days of receipt of the decision by the counselor/committee.
- The Dean of Students will review the information regarding the grievance, which was submitted to the Grievance Coordinator and/or grievance committee. The Dean of Students may choose to gather additional information. Typically, the Dean of Students will notify the student of any recommendations regarding the grievance within ten days of receiving the appeal. The decision of the Dean of Students is final unless appealed.
- If the student is not satisfied with the recommendations from the Dean of Students, the student may file a written appeal to the Provost within two days of receipt of the Dean of Students’ decision. In their sole discretion, the Provost may review the appeal. Any decisions made by the Provost are final.
If the student is satisfied that the grievance has been resolved at any point during the grievance process, the process will end.