LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
Western Union Payments For International Students
International payments to Grand Valley State University just got easier!
Grand Valley State University has contracted with Western Union Business Solutions to provide international students an alternative method for paying student bills. This payment option allows you to pay your student account balance in the currency of your choice and provides a simple and reliable way of initiating payments electronically.
Advantages of using the student payment portal:
- Foreign currency quote is easily obtained by accessing the payment method through the Western Union Portal.
- Tuition and fees are paid in the currency of your choice which is converted to U.S. Dollars.
- There are NO additional transaction charges from Western Union Business Solutions or Grand Valley State University, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank.
- The exchange rate is valid for 72 hours after the transaction is initiated, taking the uncertainty out of the total payment amount.
- The exchange rate is competitive when compared to most banks' retail rates.
- Payments received will include your reference information, which ensures that your payment reaches your student account quickly.
- Payments will be electronically transmitted to Grand Valley State University ensuring timely posting. Payments will be posted 2 to 5 business days from the time payment is initiated.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Q. What are the benefits of using the international student payment method?
A. When you select to make your payments via the international student payment method you will receive an exchange rate that is valid for 72 hours, which can be accepted before sending your funds. You will always know the amount you're going to pay in local currency at the time you send your payment and have confidence that the right amount will arrive to GVSU.
- Q. Do I need to provide Grand Valley State University bank details?
A. No. You only need the home country bank details that will be provided to you as a PDF. Western Union Business Solutions holds GVSU's bank details. All payments will be allocated accordingly using individual student ID number (G#).
- Q. Can I make a transfer via my own bank?
A. To get the benefits of this service it is important that you send your payment amount to Western Union Business Solutions using the reference number that is provided. You can use your own bank to make this transfer to Western Union Business Solutions. Make sure that your bank sends the reference number you have been given. This ensures your tuition and fee payment is easily identifiable and not be delayed.
- Q. Which fees can I pay using this service?
A. This service can be used to make payment for all balances on your student account.
- Q. I can find my home country but it doesn't let me use my home currency. Why?
A. Unfortunately, due to international and domestic banking regulations, some currencies are unable to be traded on the open market or are otherwise unavailable. In the instances where your country appears as an option but the currency is unavailable, you can select an alternative currency, including U.S. Dollar, to ensure your payment will be posted to your student account quickly.
For payment support please contact:
Western Union Business Solutions
100 Summit Avenue Montvale, NJ 07645 Toll Free: 1.877.218.8829