MSW Application Process
Degree Seeking Students
Students who meet the following University requirements and the additional requirements of their chosen program are granted degree-seeking status.
- Submit the GVSU graduate school application and MSW application for admission, including a recent resume, three professional and/or academic references and a graduate admission statement.
- Possess the baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, based on the last 60 credits of study.
- Have a broad liberal arts perspective, as well as complete the social sciences coursework form demonstrating a minimum of 18 credit hours in social or behavioral science courses, such as psychology, sociology, social work, anthropology, cultural studies, political science, religion, economics, history, philosophy, and/or human services.
- Official transcripts sent/submitted from each undergraduate and graduate institution attended.
- Enclose a non-refundable $30.00 application fee.
- If the applicant does not meet requirements but believes there are circumstances or conditions that strengthen their application, they are invited to provide a rationale regarding alternative criteria.
- Complete admission packet and School of Social Work information can be accessed here.
Non-Degree Seeking Students:
Applicants who are not seeking the MSW degree or have not completed all of the admissions requirements are considered to be Non-Degree seeking. These students may earn up to six social work credits in the School of Social Work by selecting up to two of the following courses: SW600, SW601, SW610 and SW620.
The following materials must be collected and submitted in ONE envelope:
- Your completed GVSU application for graduate study , typed or neatly printed.
- A $30 non-refundable application fee (unless you have previously applied to Grand Valley and paid this fee).
- An official transcript from each undergraduate and graduate institution you have attended. *Note* We do not require official transcripts from Grand Valley State University.
- Graduate Admission statement. Instructions found here.
- A resume, detailing work and volunteer experiences.
- A minimum of three recommendations using Graduate School recommendation forms in sealed envelopes, from professional and/or academic individuals who can speak first hand to your professional or academic work. At least one academic reference is preferred in addition to individuals who have supervised your work or volunteer experience. Note - Applicants for advanced standing status must include a recommendation form completed by their B.S.W. field instructor or faculty field liaison.
- Coursework Requirement Form
* Letter of Appeal: Applicants not meeting the basic requirements such as: 3.0 grade point average, 18 credit hours in social sciences, etc. set forth must include a letter of appeal with explanations clearly defining their academic deficiencies.
SUBMIT ALL MATERIALS IN ONE ENVELOPE TO :
GVSU - Admissions
1 Campus Dr .
Allendale , MI . 49401