Neal Buckwalter is an Assistant Professor of Public Administration.
office: 248C DeVos Center
Neal comes to Grand Valley State University after completing his PhD at Indiana University's School of Public and Environmental Affairs in 2012. He also holds a Master of Public Administration degree and Bachelor of Science degree (Sociology) from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.
Neals professional experience includes working with several city governments in both his home state of Utah, and in Washington state. This background has fostered a wide range of research interests. Building on his dissertation work, he continues to study the impacts of citizen participation on government decision-making. He has also written about tax policy and administration, especially the impacts of state tax amnesty programs. Currently he is looking at the historical development of various Progressive Era reforms, including the spread of the city manager form of government. He has published in both Public Administration Review and Public Finance Review, and has presented his research at a number of professional and academic conferences.
While at Indiana University, Neal taught courses in urban governance and public finance, for which he was recognized with an award for excellence in teaching. At GVSU, Neal has taught Public and Nonprofit Administration, Foundations of Public Service, and Organization Theory and Dynamics. He finds great satisfaction in working with both graduate and undergraduate students.
Neal and his wife Lynnette are the parents of four children, and he loves to spend time with them, going new places and learning new things.
- The book I am currently recommending to my friends is ... How Will You Measure Your Life? by Clayton Christensen, James Allworth, and Karen Dillon
- My favorite place in the world is ... anywhere in the Rocky Mountains, especially Utah.
- The person I admire most is ... my wife. She is amazing!
- My favorite pizza is ... the Cream and Crimson, in honor of Indiana University. Red potatoes, bacon, gorgonzola cheese, fresh garlic and dill, and Alfredo sauce.
- At home, I have a pet ... No pets, but five children who keep us very busy!
Download 2-page cv. (PDF)