Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership
Grand Valley State University is now accepting applications for a Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership. This 15-credit, graduate-level program consists of four courses and three workshops.
The Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership provides a unique opportunity to pursue a theoretically based and practically oriented education in leadership for nonprofit professionals. This program offers nonprofit managers the up-to-date professional skills and perspectives required to lead their organizations in the rapidly changing and complex nonprofit sector of society.
The Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership is taught by the faculty of the School of Public, Nonprofit and Health Administration with the support of the Dorothy A Johnson Center for Philanthropy.
Grand Valley State University provides an environment that allows students to successfully complete their education and obtain thriving careers. The gainful employment regulation requires certificate programs to meet minimum thresholds with respect to the debt-to-income rates of their graduates. GVSU is engaged with the community to prepare the students for real life experiences, which allow for gainful employment. Click here read more about the Gainful Employment Disclosure information.
Content includes engaging volunteers, advancing public agendas, managing organizational change, building agency capacity, fund development, nurturing new leadership, evaluating program outcomes, mastering information technology, improving board governance, and maintaining professional networks.
The Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership is specifically designed for the experienced nonprofit manager who has an advanced degree or an undergraduate degree and several years of professional experience. It is intended for those holding or seeking executive positions that wish to further their education without pursuing the full requirements for a graduate degree. However, courses and workshops taken in the certificate program may be applied toward the Master of Public Administration degree.
People who should benefit from the Certificate program include nonprofit agency managers and staff, community and labor organizers, foundation directors and staff, civic leaders, healthcare managers, event planners, clergy and ministry directors, grant managers, nonprofit board members and social workers.
Applicants for the Certificate Program in Nonprofit Leadership must:
- Apply at https://www.gvsu.edu/admissions/graduate/ or call 616.331.6575 for an application packet.
- Hold an advanced degree or a bachelor's degree with a minimum of 3.0 in the last two years of undergraduate work.
- Have some professional experience in nonprofit organizations.
- Submit official transcripts, an application essay and three letters of recommendation.
The Certificate requires the completion of 15 credit hours of graduate study:
- PA661 Nonprofit Management Practice (3 credits)
- PA662 Nonprofit Resource and Financial Management (3 credits)
- PA663 Nonprofit Organization and Public Policy (3 credits)
- PA665 Nonprofit Boards, Trustees, and Governance (3 credits)
- 3 credits from PA 550, 551,552, 553, or 554 workshops