SJE Article Resources for Learners
The Purpose of This Page
This Social Justice Education article resource page for learners lists several articles ranging from discussions on intersectionality, race and ethnicity, and racial inequality that are meant to develop and strengthen your understanding of social injustice and justice by guiding your self-exploration and self-learning.
Critical Thinking and Sociology
- “Can Sociology Help Me Counter Claims of Reverse Racism?” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “Claiming an Education” by Adrienne Rich
- “Critical Thinking & Employing Education to Develop a Critical Consciousness” by Shay-Akil
- "How Gender Differs From Sex" by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “How Sociologists Define Human Agency” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “Introduction to Sociology” by Ashley Crossman
- “Sociology of Racism” by Matthew Clair and Jeffrey Denis
- “Studying Race and Gender with Symbolic Interaction Theory” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “Summary of Classical Sociological Theory” by Shay-Akil
- “The Concept of Social Structure in Sociology” by Ashley Crossman
- “The Sociology of Gender” by Ashley Crossman
- “The Sociology of Race and Ethnicity” by Ashley Crossman
- “The Sociology of Social Inequality” by Ashley Crossman
- “Understanding Socialization in Sociology” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “Understanding the Sociological Perspective” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “What is a Norm? Why Does it Matter?” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “What is Social Class, and Why Does it Matter?” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- “Belonging: A Conversation about Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion” by Krys
- "Diversity And Inclusion: A Complete Guide for HR Professionals" by Somen Mondal
- "Diversity and Inclusion Efforts That Really Work" by David Pedulla
- "Diversity and inclusion: 8 best practices for changing your culture" by Sharon Florentine
- “Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion 101” by Denver | Anschutz
- "Equality, Diversity, & Inclusion Explained" by The GC Index
- “Equity vs. Equality: What Is the Difference?” by Robert Longley
- “How to define diversity, equity, and inclusion at work” by Sarah Saska
- "Inclusion Strategies" by ThoughtCo.
- “What Does Gender Equality Mean?” by Human Rights Careers
- "What's The Difference Between Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity" by Meg Bogler
- “Why Does Equality Matter in the Workplace?” by Engage in Learning
- "3 Requirements for a Diverse and Inclusive Culture" by Ella Washington and Camille Patrick
- “5 Ways to Make Your Diversity Workshop aa Success” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
- “6 Ways to Support Diversity and Minority Colleagues in the Workplace” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
- “15 Ways to Improve Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace” by Socialchrous
- “Definition of Intersectionality” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “How Race & Gender Interact to Shape Inequality” an excerpt written by Shay-Akil
- “Intersectionality” by Jone Johnson Lewis
- “Intersectional Resistance and Law Reform” by Dean Spade
- “Toward a Field of Intersectionality Studies: Theory, Applications, and Praxis” by Sumi Cho, Kimberle Williams Crenshaw, and Leslie McCall
- "Trans 101" by Trans and Gender Diverse Youth
Power and Privilege
- “Power Definitions and Examples in Sociology” by Ashley Crossman
- “Reproduction of Privilege” by Thomas B. Edsall
- “The Definition of Whiteness in American Society” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “The History of White Supremacy” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “Understanding and Defining White Privilege” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “Understanding Race and Privilege” by The National Association of School Psychologists
- “What is Cultural Hegemony?” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” by Peggy McIntosh
- “WOCN Power and Privilege Packet” by Women of Color Network
Prejudice and Discrimination
- “Racial Bias and Discrimination: From Colorism to Racial Profiling” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
- “The Roots of Colorism, or Skin Tone Discrimination” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
- “Understanding Racial Prejudice” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
- “What’s the Difference Between Prejudice and Racism?” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
Race and Ethnicity
- “Ethnicity Definition in Sociology” by Ashley Crossman
- “How Do Sociologists Define Race?” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “Our Glossary” by the University of Calgary
- “Scientific and Social Definitions of Race” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
- “The Essential Social Fact of Race” by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva
- “The Sociology of Race and Ethnicity” by Ashley Crossman
- “Understanding the Difference Between Race and Ethnicity” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
Racial Equality and Justice
- “Guide to Being an Anti-Racism Activist” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “Unlearning Racism: Resources for Teaching Anti-Racism” by Lisa Marder
Racial Inequality and Injustice
- “Anti-Oppression Terms List” by The National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW)
- “Racial Profiling and Why it Hurts Minorities” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
- “Racial Profiling: Ineffective and Amoral” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
- “The Racial Wealth Gap” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “This is why everyday racial profiling is so dangerous” by Holly Yan, CNN
- “Understanding Segregation Today” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “Understanding the School-to-Prison Pipeline” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- "Visualizing Social Stratification in the U.S" by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “What is Missing? Cultural Processes and Causal Pathways to Inequality” by Michele Lamont, Stefan Beljean, and Matthew Clair
- “What is Social Oppression?” by Ashley Crossman
- “What Is Social Stratification, and Why Does It Matter?” by Nicki Cole, Ph.D.
- “Defining Racism Beyond its Dictionary Meaning” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “Excerpt from Racial Attitudes in the 1990s: Continuity and Change “Laissez-faire Racism: The Crystallization of a Kindler, Genter, Antiblack Ideology” by Lawrence Bobo, James R. Kluegel, and Ryan A. Smith
- “Rethinking Racism: Toward a Structural Interpretation” by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva
- “Subtle Racism and the Problem It Poses” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
- “Understanding 4 Different Types of Racism” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
- “What Is Racism: Definition and Examples” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
- “The Central Frames of Color-Blind Racism” pp. 73-99 in Racism Without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva
- “The Structure of Racism in Color-Blind, “Post-Racial” America" by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva
- “What Is Critical Race Theory? Definition, Principles, and Applications” by Rebecca Bodenheimer
- “The Definition of Institutional Racism” by Tom Head
- “5 Examples of Institutional Racism in the United States” by Nadra Kareem Nittle
- “Definition of Systemic Racism in Sociology” by Nicki Lisa Cole, Ph.D.
- “Rethinking Racial Formation Theory: A System Racism Critique” by Joe Feagin and Sean Elias
- “The History of Redlining” by Beatrix Lockwood
- “7 Ways We Know Systemic Racism is Real” by Ben & Jerry’s
*Please note that this page will be updated regularly because this is not an exhaustive list of article resources for learners.