Seidman TRACKS Professional Development Program
As a Seidman student, you will learn to make informed decisions, act ethically, and take initiative through the exchange and application of knowledge with a global perspective. To complement our mission Seidman College of Business offers TRACKS, a professional development program (PDP), designed to provide opportunities to apply what you’re learning; through community collaborations and innovative approaches to learning.
TRACKS identifies University and community based professional development events that will aid your growth in areas such as career, leadership, and professionalism. Events will fall into one of four strategically designated categories so that students can work on various areas to strengthen their soft skills.
TRACK 1: Communication and Professional Skills
TRACK 2: Strategic Career Development
TRACK 3: Leadership, Ethics and Integrity
TRACK 4: Global and Diverse Perspectives
This program is open to all Grand Valley State University students, with Seidman students being eligible for a certificate of completion awarded at Seidman Evening of Honors.
How it Works?
Attend a total of 8 TRACKS events then submit a reflective essay after each event about your learning experience.
Of the 8 events, 3 must be off the Required List.
Required List: choose 3 events to attend from the different categories
1. GVSU Career Fair (TRACK 2 Events)
- Fall: Oct 16, 2018; 1-5pm DeVos Convention Center
- Winter: February 21, 2019; 1-5pm DeVos Convention Center
2. Careers in Major interest (TRACK 2 Events)
- Marketing Career Night – Tuesday, September 18, 2018; 6-8 p.m. Seidman Forum (rm 1008).
- Careers in Finance – Thursday, October 4, 2018; 5-8 p.m. Seidman Forum (rm 1008).
- Careers in Economics – Tuesday, February 12, 2019; 5-7 p.m. Seidman Forum (rm 1008)
- Accounting Backstage Pass – Wednesday, February 20, 2019; 3-6 p.m. 2nd floor Eberhard Center.
- Careers in Management—March 20, 2019; 4:30-6:30pm Seidman Forum (SCB 1008)
3. A Peter Secchia Breakfast Lecture - Check Seidman Calendar for dates
4. Career Center Sponsored Event (TRACKS 1&2 Events)
- Career Fair Prep Week Events – Monday, October 8, 2018; 5 – 7 p.m. Seidman Forum (rm 1008) Wednesday, & October 10, 2018; 5 – 7 p.m. Seidman 1st fl
- So You Think You Can Network – Wednesday, November 7, 2018; 5 – 7 p.m. Seidman Forum (rm 1008).
- Career Development Conference – Wednesday, February 13, 2019; 5 -7 p.m. Seidman Forum (rm 1008)
May attend more than 1 event under each category in addition to the 3 required
The remaining 5 events can be selected from the groupings listed below, which encompass all TRACK categories:
- Seidman Student Organization Professional Development Event
- Additional Career Services Events (GVSU Career Events)
- Additional GVSU professional development events (GVSU Events Calendar)
- TRACK 4 Events: Global and Diverse Perspectives - visit these links for great opportunities! Van Andel Global Trade Center World Affairs Council of Western Michigan Padnos International Center Office of Multicultural Affairs
3 Learning Outcomes and a Reflective Document!
Learning Experiences are the ways new knowledge will be disseminated. There are 3 specific pathways used in this program.
This model has been adapted from Rethinking the MBA: Business Education at the Crossroads (Datar, S., et al., 2010). This leadership framework was developed by the US Army (p. 103), and has been modified to meet the needs of our students and the vision of the program.
KNOW: what new knowledge did you gain at this event?
DO: how will you continue to learn and plan to apply the information presented?
BE: in what ways has the new information influenced your personal and professional development?
Each event has been selected to serve as a catalyst for practicing lifelong learning.
The TRACKS -KNOW DO BE approach helps students identify the new learning and explore practical ways of implementing this new knowledge, which culminates in becoming embedded into your brand.
Once you have attended the TRACKS event, write a short reflective essay (3 paragraphs) answering the questions below: